You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-17 09:06:36

wolfdogg

[solved] why cant i stream videos over the lan

using windows, i can stream videos no problem using ANY media player.  what i mean by stream is when i play a video, it streams from the source as its playing, buffering only a few milliseconds.  But when i play a video through KDE using VLC, it just crashes, maybe i dont have the right codecs installed(time will tell as i will have ffdshow soon enough) and when i play it using mplayer, it needs to buffer the entire file which takes minutes+ before the video starts. 

is there a certain media player i can use, or a certain setting i can adjust in KDE to circumvent this horrible behaviour?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-08-11 22:23:42)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2012-07-17 15:24:44

Minsc

Re: [solved] why cant i stream videos over the lan

Can you run vlc from the console and paste the output? (Maybe use pastebin if there's a large trace.) Also, is this over wifi or ethernet?

#3 2012-07-23 08:44:50

wolfdogg

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'smb://redtail/UserFiles/PublicArchive/videos/drama%20reality/Whale%20Wars/Whale%20wars%20Season%202/Whale%20Wars%20S02E01.avi'. Check the log for details.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2012-07-23 12:21:40

Pres

VLC wrote:

Check the log for details.

Did you check the log as it says?

#5 2012-07-23 23:31:05

wolfdogg

i cant find the log, so i googled it, came up with this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 23#p777923 set the log, and like the user that was having problems mentioned int eh post below the one linked the log is not created. i set the log to my home directory/vlc.log

anyhow, i think its just a codec issue here, i can install ffdshow and see if that rectifies it.  Are you suggesting that VLC should stream it even though mpl;ayer doesnt?  why isnt mplayer streaming is the best question, is it possibly just he nature of KDE that needs tweaking?  possibly the file indexer which i do keep disabled? nepomuk that is..

Edit: i do already have ffmpeg installed, so maybe its not a codec issue as far as VLC.  im also open to other media player suggestions so long as i can manually change the aspect ratio of the playing video to 16x9, i think most do this anyhow.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-07-23 23:36:29)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#6 2012-07-24 12:10:44

Lone_Wolf

Wolfdogg , the error reported by VLC (and the slow play with mplayer) suggests the problem may be with your SMB configuration, NOT the mediaplayer.

To verify it's not a codec / mediaplayer problem, try copying the file to your system and playing it locally.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-07-24 12:11:29)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2012-07-24 15:08:50

dobie2564

Based on the error you pasted, and if this is a new install, then I would guess that samba isn't installed or configured properly.  Samba is the Linux service that allows you to connect to Windows network shares.  i.e. "smb://...."

Last edited by dobie2564 (2012-07-24 15:09:23)

#8 2012-07-26 08:43:17

wolfdogg

thanks guys, i think it may be a samba configuration problem as well, assuming there is such a setting for streaming vs. copying, or whatever the terminilogy may be.  Is there a setting in samba that controls wether a file when ran is copied vs. allowed to be played over the lan without copy?  This would explain the problems im having perfectly.  If its a samba config issue that would be great actually. 

as far as codecs, vlc will play the file if its a local copy, but it wont play the file if i run it over the network.  mplayer will play it locally no problem, but will cause a notification to show up on the task bar, when clicked will show the time until download completion, in which it will start playback only after successfully downloading, or buffering if you will, the whole file.  This is the  behavior im trying to correct.  So i wasnt suggesting the codec wasnt able to decode the video, but i thought that possibly it might have had something to do with the fact that it woudnt stream it. 

Im going to look into the samba config as soon as i can to see if i can find anything related.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-07-26 08:44:26)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#9 2012-07-26 14:27:32

dobie2564

Samba is the network protocol.  It gives you access to the files on the server you are trying to access.   It should not have any affect on how vlc or mplayer plays the file.  Thus I would see if it is based on the way the file is being called.   One way to test this is to mount the remote drive so that it appears as part of the local file system.  The use VLC or mplayer to play the file in this manner.

#10 2012-07-26 18:51:15

los_locos

I'm going on a hunch and assume you need the following, install gvfs gvfs-fuse gvfs-backends and then add user to fuse group

sudo usermod -a -G fuse username

don't be part of the system and throw it on the ground

#11 2012-08-11 20:24:26

wolfdogg

thanks los_locos, i cant find gvfs-fuse package, and i dont have a fuse usergroup.  what other steps might i need to take?  i do have fuse installed.  what might i need to run that will create the group?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-08-11 20:25:09)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#12 2012-08-11 20:35:33

loafer

los_locos wrote:

I'm going on a hunch and assume you need the following, install gvfs gvfs-fuse gvfs-backends and then add user to fuse group

sudo usermod -a -G fuse username

Are you sure you are talking about Arch packages here?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#13 2012-08-11 22:21:37

wolfdogg

dobie2564 wrote:

One way to test this is to mount the remote drive so that it appears as part of the local file system.

thanks dobie, this is the comment that lead me to looking deeper into the samba mounts, and low and behold, it wasnt mounted properly.  now that its mounted using smbnetfs the shares are all loaded in /mnt/smbnet   and i am able to play the files directly as if they were on the local system.  so i guess it was a mount issue.  You were right Lone_Wolf

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-08-11 22:22:22)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer