I need Your help, unfortunatly.
after quite a day running, X stops working, since I restart it. And then again, after some time, and so on.
If I try to launch a program in the console, Error is
"Maximum number of clients reached." "Xset: can't open display."
Or something very similar.
Everyday tasks are quite always the same:
Everything (as Arch) is up to date.
X.Org X Server 1.12.3 Release Date: 2012-07-09 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0 Build Operating System: Linux 3.4.4-3-ARCH i686 Current Operating System: Linux anna 3.4.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 20 07:24:45 UTC 2012 i686 Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda7 ro Build Date: 09 July 2012 04:03:16PM Current version of pixman: 0.26.2 Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url] to make sure that you have the latest version.
Obviously I searched for a solution here, in the Italian Board, with Google, in manuals pages and still here, still without a solution.
Already tried to downgrade Flash plugin, remove last FireFox add-ons (Adblock Plus 2.1.1, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.4, Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.3), to start X without tcp support and removing xset in the .xinitrc file.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rix (2012-11-19 10:46:19)
No one? ;(
So, is it me or no one know any workaround?
Try rolling back your kernel and/or X maybe? I'd try to downgrade those two things separately and see if the issue is fixed.
I'm torn apart between worlds. Basically, using vim in a highly visual environment with a lot of mouse features feels like soldering a lose wire to a motherboard with a Zippo and a needle, while working with ANY TEXT AT ALL with a "modern GUI" text editor feels like joining the London Philharmonic Orchestra with a Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Magical Musical Mirror. --Awebb
Hi all and sorry for necro-posting.
I've been busy and I also had to format the machine.
* The same problem is still here. *
I also have downgraded xorg-server, xorg-common, xf86-input-evdev and xf86-video-intel (the last two, required by xorg-server downgrading). And got nothing.
And I've did the same on linux package too and still got nothing.
* Right now the entire Arch system is up to date. *
Thank so much in advance.
* Edit: *
Forgot to mention that now I've a pure Systemd Arch system.
Last edited by rix (2012-09-20 18:32:15)
Check your X log for clues.
Did you try googling the error? Doing so turns up quite a lot of hits e.g. http://askubuntu.com/questions/4499/how … d-x-errors.
I googled. But I opened this thread the July 25th and I'd forgot about that link and the fact that my problem could be Firefox fault. Silly me. -_-
I'm trying to surf w/ Chromium right now (I don't like very much Opera and other browsers based on Webkit don't read much stuff on the web) to check if issue returns. If so I'll try to check log.
I found that I don't even like Chromium as well. So I think I'll use W3m and Elinks for "normal browsing" and FireFox just when I need to write a mail with my damned Hotmail account.
the issue still presist, even without Firefox.
Last edited by rix (2012-10-08 20:16:25)
sorry for necro and double posting but I think I've finally found a workaround which works, in my case at least, and I think it'd be helpful for future reference.
I was stupidly run Xset in an infinite while loop. Removing the loop did the trick.