You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-25 14:38:00

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

[Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Hi all,
I need Your help, unfortunatly. smile

Issue:
after quite a day running, X stops working, since I restart it. And then again, after some time, and so on.
If I try to launch a program in the console, Error is

"Maximum number of clients reached."
"Xset: can't open display." 

Or something very similar.

Everyday tasks are quite always the same:
- Bash;
- Urxvtc;
- Tmux;
- Dwm;
- Nvlc;
- FireFox.

Everything (as Arch) is up to date.

Specs:

X.Org X Server 1.12.3
Release Date: 2012-07-09
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.4.4-3-ARCH i686 
Current Operating System: Linux anna 3.4.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 20 07:24:45 UTC 2012 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda7 ro
Build Date: 09 July 2012  04:03:16PM
 
Current version of pixman: 0.26.2
        Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
        to make sure that you have the latest version.

Obviously I searched for a solution here, in the Italian Board, with Google, in manuals pages and still here, still without a solution.

Already tried to downgrade Flash plugin, remove last FireFox add-ons (Adblock Plus 2.1.1, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.4, Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.3), to start X without tcp support and removing xset in the .xinitrc file.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. wink

Last edited by rix (2012-11-19 10:46:19)

Offline

#2 2012-07-25 16:58:04

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

No one? ;(

Offline

#3 2012-07-26 18:34:31

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

So, is it me or no one know any workaround?

Offline

#4 2012-07-26 20:28:28

MoonSwan
Member
From: Great White North
Registered: 2008-01-23
Posts: 873

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Try rolling back your kernel and/or X maybe?  I'd try to downgrade those two things separately  and see if the issue is fixed.


I'm torn apart between worlds. Basically, using vim in a highly visual environment with a lot of mouse features feels like soldering a lose wire to a motherboard with a Zippo and a needle, while working with ANY TEXT AT ALL with a "modern GUI" text editor feels like joining the London Philharmonic Orchestra with a Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Magical Musical Mirror.  --Awebb

Offline

#5 2012-09-20 13:44:37

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Hi all and sorry for necro-posting.
I've been busy and I also had to format the machine.

* The same problem is still here. *
I also have downgraded xorg-server, xorg-common, xf86-input-evdev and xf86-video-intel (the last two, required by xorg-server downgrading). And got nothing.
And I've did the same on linux package too and still got nothing.

* Right now the entire Arch system is up to date. *
Any ideas?

Thank so much in advance.

---
* Edit: *
Forgot to mention that now I've a pure Systemd Arch system.

Thanks again.

Last edited by rix (2012-09-20 18:32:15)

Offline

#6 2012-09-21 13:56:02

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,835

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Check your X log for clues.

Offline

#7 2012-09-21 22:13:36

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 5,661

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Did you try googling the error? Doing so turns up quite a lot of hits e.g. http://askubuntu.com/questions/4499/how … d-x-errors.


How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

Offline

#8 2012-09-22 16:10:27

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

@ cfr:
I googled. But I opened this thread the July 25th and I'd forgot about that link and the fact that my problem could be Firefox fault. Silly me. -_-
I'm trying to surf w/ Chromium right now (I don't like very much Opera and other browsers based on Webkit don't read much stuff on the web) to check if issue returns. If so I'll try to check log.

---
Edit:
I found that I don't even like Chromium as well. So I think I'll use W3m and Elinks for "normal browsing" and FireFox just when I need to write a mail with my damned Hotmail account.


---
Edit (2012-10-08):
the issue still presist, even without Firefox.

Last edited by rix (2012-10-08 20:16:25)

Offline

#9 2012-11-19 10:45:58

rix
Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 221

Re: [Solved] X1.12.3: Max number of clients reached and stop working

Hi archers,
sorry for necro and double posting but I think I've finally found a workaround which works, in my case at least, and I think it'd be helpful for future reference.

I was stupidly run Xset in an infinite while loop. Removing the loop did the trick.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB