You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-03 13:21:58

DSpider

[SOLVED] Why use pacstrap to install GRUB when "pacman -S" is easier?

Is there any particular reason to running...

# pacstrap /mnt grub-bios

... before chrooting and configuring it?

Wouldn't it be better - and easier to follow - to have the "Install Bootloader" step merged with "Configure Bootloader" ?

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-08 20:10:06)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2012-08-03 17:36:45

karlh626

Re: [SOLVED] Why use pacstrap to install GRUB when "pacman -S" is easier?

After looping through the bootloader instructions in the new netinstall wiki a few times - i come up with "Grub Loading, please wait....   Error 17"

If I knew how to install correctly, I would fix the wiki myself but I am still stuck trying to get grub installed as the bootloader.

#3 2012-08-03 17:49:11

DSpider

And you chose this topic as your first post? I'm flattered... But you really should make your own topic (or you know, google "grub2 error 17" because it's more common than you think), instead of hijacking this one.

Right now it's split into:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … bootloader

And:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … bootloader

This part sounds very dumb: "If you installed GRUB2, install it to the hard disk containing your boot partition." Come on. Install it with pacstrap then install it with grub-install? These two should be merged together, in one segment. One for GRUB, one for Syslinux, somewhere after the "arch-chroot /mnt" command. If nobody changes it in the next day or so I'll take a stab at it. Because it really doesn't make any sense (to me), why you need to install GRUB (with pacstrap), then install GRUB again (with grub-install). These commands should be consecutive, instead of split:

# pacman -S grub-bios
# grub-install /dev/sda
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-08-03 18:50:16

donniezazen
Website

Just a random guess. Pacstrap can install in /mnt which would become your root folder, I am not sure if you could simply use pacman -S to install in a desired directory. You may be right their, once you arch-chroot, it shouldn't matter. This is more of a forum and wiki section thread than installation.

#5 2012-08-03 19:02:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

donniezazen wrote:

Just a random guess. Pacstrap can install in /mnt which would become your root folder, I am not sure if you could simply use pacman -S to install in a desired directory.

man pacman -r flag

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2012-08-03 19:07:06

Pierre
Developer
Website

pacman does not setup the chroot env like binding /dev or setting up resolv.conf. install scripts might break.

#7 2012-08-03 19:56:16

Awebb

Pacstrap is a bash script. You can read the script, this will answer your question.

#8 2012-08-03 20:09:13

donniezazen
Website

Inxsible wrote:
donniezazen wrote:

Just a random guess. Pacstrap can install in /mnt which would become your root folder, I am not sure if you could simply use pacman -S to install in a desired directory.

man pacman -r flag

OFF-TOPIC

I left all other distros because they lack elegance of Pacman.

Thanks.

#9 2012-08-03 20:29:10

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

DSpider wrote:

This part sounds very dumb: "If you installed GRUB2, install it to the hard disk containing your boot partition." Come on. Install it with pacstrap then install it with grub-install? These two should be merged together, in one segment. One for GRUB, one for Syslinux, somewhere after the "arch-chroot /mnt" command. If nobody changes it in the next day or so I'll take a stab at it.

Please do. It probably made sense to someone at some point, but you're right it sounds dumb and could be merged now. The BG is still a work in progress.

Board footer