You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-03 14:22:11

W4RH4WK

Different accounts for Forum, Wiki Bugtracker and AUR

Somebody might have already made such a question - i tried to find a topic like this, but had no success in doing so.

I recently created an account here in the forum section of the arch linux page. But when i wanted to use the some login credentials on the Wiki / Bugtracker / AUR login didn't work. So i guess each part has it's own user database.

I know that might be because the different parts of the page have their own different systems (Wiki, FluxBB, Flyspray) which of course have completely different user database structures and interfaces.

What do you think about this issue? I think it would be much nicer to create 1 account which can be used on all sections over the page. Even though this would be a little bit complicated to achieve with the current systems, but it's still possible for nerds and geeks like us^^

Also it would go hand in hand with the arch philosophy of keeping stuff simple (1 account is much simpler than 4)

#2 2012-08-03 14:27:28

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Different accounts for Forum, Wiki Bugtracker and AUR

you are right that there was a thread about this before. But it was such a long time ago that I am not even going to try to search for it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-08-03 14:39:00

ewaller
Administrator

W4RH4WK wrote:

Also it would go hand in hand with the arch philosophy of keeping stuff simple (1 account is much simpler than 4)

Simple for whom?  tongue

When I started moderating, I came to the realization that Archlinux is actually a couple dozen projects flying in loose formation.  The forums (moderators), AUR (trusted users), Developers (Core, Community, Testing, Extras, other architectures, bugzilla) , IRC, Swag Store, etc... are all (almost) independent of each other and are administered by different volunteers.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-08-03 14:42:55

Allan
Pacman
Website

There is a bug report which has some discussion about this.   The main issue is there is no upgrade path given users have different user names on the forum/wiki/flyspray...    Even is the same username is in all three, there is no guarantee they are all the same person.

The best we can hope for is that the wiki/forum/bug tracker all have catastrophic failures and we lose all backups so we can start again fresh tongue

#5 2012-08-03 14:53:37

W4RH4WK

Allan wrote:

The best we can hope for is that the wiki/forum/bug tracker all have catastrophic failures and we lose all backups so we can start again fresh tongue

i often think about such scenarios when dealing with formation less systems ^^

Well, as i have already guessed, there have been such threads regarding this idea. Speaking from a realistic point of view, i don't think such a catastrophic failure will happen. Changing an already running system is a very bad idea anyway, so i guess we all will live with the current system as it is.

I still hope some day, the whole page will be redone (keeping the content of course) bug re implementing the systems.

#6 2012-08-03 15:50:14

Pierre
Developer
Website

As Allan already mentioned, migration is the problem. I actually maintain a simple plugin to use the forums accounts in mediawiki. Unfortunately Mediawiki is quite restrictive when it comes to usernames. (e.g.  spaces are allowed)

#7 2012-08-03 16:23:01

drcouzelis
Website

I think one of the big reasons it's so confusing is because of the outstanding themes that have been applied to the Arch Linux website. The different parts of the website that are run by such different software all look like they were designed to work together.

Anyway, I agree that nothing should be changed.

Allan wrote:

The best we can hope for is that the wiki/forum/bug tracker all have catastrophic failures and we lose all backups so we can start again fresh

Nooo, my post count! sad

Last edited by drcouzelis (2012-08-03 16:23:31)

#8 2012-08-07 11:03:32

DSpider

One account to rule them all is a good idea.

+1

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#9 2012-08-07 11:25:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

DSpider wrote:

One account to rule them all is a good idea.

Especially if its mine! wink

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2012-08-07 14:09:02

W4RH4WK

As said, it would be great for some people, but for the majority?!

But even if the majority wishes such a change, right now it won't be possible with messing up something. i guess one way would be to rebuild the page / or at least modify the system's logins the page uses, so they get their data all from the same database table.

This only wouldn't be hard to achieve, but i don't see a way how to deal with already existing user accounts. Of course nobody want's to lose his account or need to register again, on the other head we don't want to have duplicates in this new database table.

i guess the only way would lead over unique email addresses.

Still, if we could deal with this in theory, we don't get the guarantee that it works in practice. And as far as i can tell, there i too much on the line what can go wrong / can be lost, and currently the whole system is running (not as smoothly as some of us wish - but running)

#11 2012-12-28 09:25:51

lqs

1 account is much simpler than 4!
Obey the KISS.

#12 2012-12-28 11:10:53

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

lqs wrote:

1 account is much simpler than 4!
Obey the KISS.

According to the Arch philosophy, KISS applies to code and developers, not users. If it's easier for them to maintain the current system then it's KISS.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#13 2012-12-28 11:56:11

DSpider

It's easier to maintain four separate databases instead of one?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#14 2012-12-28 12:11:55

Awebb

DSpider wrote:

It's easier to maintain four separate databases instead of one?

It is easier to maintain one database with four table prefixes, than writing a compatibility layer for four different systems. While the wiki and AUR look like in-house products, Flyspray and FluxBB are not.

I'd also repeat my statement from one of the other threads concerning a unified login: I am not sure everybody wants to use the same name/account/identity for everything. While I prefer being anonymous in the forums, I probably want to publish Wiki entries and packages under my real name, while preserving the distinction between both names.

#15 2012-12-28 22:57:02

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:

While the wiki and AUR look like in-house products, Flyspray and FluxBB are not.

A minor correction, the wiki is MediaWiki and is not an Arch Linux product either.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer