You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-19 09:32:59

Michel

setting up postfix

Heya,

I'm trying to setup postfix. I'm inside a network and would like to let postfix forward all mails to the networks smtp-server. It only needs to handle mails coming from the machine it's running on.

I have been trying to get this running with relay_host=network's mail server (I also tried with relay_host=network's name, but that didn't give me the smtp-server Ithink) and relay_domains=localhost, but that gives me "network's mail sever not known" ... I tried with default_transport=network's mail server, but I'm not yet sure if that works ...

so, could anyone help me with configuring postfix, so it passes all emails to the network's smtp-server?

thanks,

Michel

#2 2005-08-19 10:07:03

neri
Forum Fellow

Re: setting up postfix

Michel wrote:

Heya,

I'm trying to setup postfix. I'm inside a network and would like to let postfix forward all mails to the networks smtp-server. It only needs to handle mails coming from the machine it's running on.

I have been trying to get this running with relay_host=network's mail server (I also tried with relay_host=network's name, but that didn't give me the smtp-server Ithink) and relay_domains=localhost, but that gives me "network's mail sever not known" ... I tried with default_transport=network's mail server, but I'm not yet sure if that works ...

so, could anyone help me with configuring postfix, so it passes all emails to the network's smtp-server?

thanks,

Michel

While it should be possible with postfix, I wonder why are you wanna break
a butterfly on wheel(we say shoot at sparrows with cannons actually).
There are quite a couple of capable smtp forwarder out there, eg.

pacman -S msmtp

will probably help. (If I got your problem right)

-neri

#3 2005-08-19 10:30:02

Michel

HEya,

thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure yet of it. I need it so that the output of cron-jobs is mailed and also the output of the bacula-backup-system. I am not sure yet how bacula sends mails. I know you can specify another mail-command by using pipes (for cron-jobs), but it would be nicer if I could use the sendmail(/postfix)-executable.

thanks,

Michel

#4 2005-08-19 12:11:29

Michel

Heya,

thanks for the help. I solved it, by specifying the ip-address of the network's mail-server instead of it's domain name(?).

thanks,

Michel

#5 2005-08-19 13:57:10

neri
Forum Fellow

Michel wrote:

I solved it, by specifying the ip-address of the network's mail-server instead of it's domain name(?).

I'm not quite sure. but for domainbased relyaing it might be that postfix
needs a valid mx entry at least (/etc/hosts doesn't work here)

-neri

#6 2005-08-19 15:11:06

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

relayhost=[192.168.0.1]

put the ip in brackets. putting it in brackets turns off mx lookups.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer