You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-05 17:48:07

HazHac7

Lenovo T420s: Finding source of crash and reboot

Hi,

I have been running Arch on my T420s since I got it in Jan without any problems. However, recently my laptop started to suddenly reboot: Suddenly the monitor goes black, everything shuts down, roughly four seconds of silence and the laptop suddenly boots again.

As I am not very familiar with this type of problem, I do not know where to start looking. However I observed the following:

- The log files do not contain any valuable information (I grepped /var/log/* for "error" and "warning" but nothing interesting showed up).
- After rebooting the "recovering inodes" message shows up.
- No clear pattern is visible: Sometines the crashes occour withing 2 minutes after rebooting, sometimes nothing happens the whole day.
- No difference in behavior is observable when I change my power supply / bettery.

Has anyone an idea where I could look in my system - or does that behavior indicate a hardware / power issue?

#2 2012-08-06 07:51:39

btorb

Re: Lenovo T420s: Finding source of crash and reboot

I unfortunately experience the same. On Ubuntu this problem is widely spread and many bug reports are being filed since one of the last updates (for instance, here, here and here), but also noticed on Arch (and claimed to be fixed, see link below, but it doesn't prevent all crashes).

Often diagnosed as having something to do with the nvidia graphics card, but also appearing on other systems (like my own T420s). I just installed Arch over the weekend and had one of those crashed again last night. So it seems an upstream error in the xserver itself; potentially in combination with some other packages. A bug that produces the same behaviour (xserver crash and landing back at the login manager) has been reported in openbox with some gtk3 applications: here. although the patch fixed some specific crashes (in my case) some other crashes persisted.

Concerning the logs: it's a bit weird to me as there is no trace in the log on Arch. On ubuntu, in either the syslog or the Xorg log, you can see a segfault in the xserver. (I'm sure the issue is the same; just unsure why it doesn't appear in the logs)

I really hope somebody could at least find out where the error comes from and to which version we can roll back to avoid it. (I never had this problem on my ubuntu before upgrading to 12.04 and applying several updates)

#3 2012-08-06 10:33:40

HazHac7

btorb wrote:

Often diagnosed as having something to do with the nvidia graphics card, but also appearing on other systems (like my own T420s).

Thanks for the information! I also have the suspicion that the problem might be caused by the graphics driver. I actually belive that the problems started to occour after installing  bumblebee. I will investigate that and will post an update if I have found anything.

#4 2012-08-06 10:51:45

wander

If bumblebee isn't causing the issue, you could try disabling the nvidia chip in your bios.

I have a T420s (4173) too and in this regard it works just fine.

Board footer