You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-25 21:20:11

Bomb@

[solved] Cups via Samba cant print PDF from Windows

Hey,

i hope its the right category.

I have a HTPC with Cups, Samba and a Brother DCP-7010, tried with normal and testing repo.

Localy printing (LibreOffice, PDFs, Firefox) works great (2 x Arch). Linux printing (2 Clients, Libreoffice, PDFs etc pp) works great.

But .. my three Windows clients (my girlfriends Thinkpads and my workstation) cant printing PDFs. I try it with Adobe Reader and FoxIt. But MS Office and Firefox works fine.

I have only trouble with PDFs from a Windows Client.

I set Debug in the cups-config but there no errors about a pdf problem in the error log.

I hope my english is okay smile)

Best wishes.

Bomb@

Last edited by Bomb@ (2012-08-25 22:30:07)

#2 2012-08-25 21:44:21

dschrute

Re: [solved] Cups via Samba cant print PDF from Windows

I would try configuring a "raw" print device in CUPS, then printing to that from Windows rather than the queue configured with the Brother driver.  Note that the raw print queue should be in addition to the one you already configured, not a replacement for it.  The procedure is described in the official SAMBA documentation here.

So when you're done you'll have two print queues, each pointing to the same physical device, one with a CUPS driver associated with it ( for printing from Linux ) and one with no driver assoicated ( for printing from Windows via Samba ).  When printing via Samba, Windows will do the processing and CUPS will simply pass the already formatted data on to the printer.  This avoids having the file processed a 2nd ( unecessay ) time which can cause issues.

#3 2012-08-25 22:08:04

Bomb@

Re: [solved] Cups via Samba cant print PDF from Windows

Yay great!

As Raw-Device i can printing pdfs from Windows.

Ive added 2 Printers. A RAW-Printer and the "normal" printer.

But now i have this Problem:

[26/Aug/2012:03:08:01 +0200] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Create-Job (https://htpc.terror.lan:631/printers/Brother_Linux) from 192.168.1.10

Thats a new Problem. When iam deleting the Raw-Printer, my normal Printer works fine.

*EDIT*

OHH wait!

I think it works!!!

Ive deleted and added the printer a few times .. and now it works Oo Crazy

Okay .. it works!

Ive try it now with all Clients and all Clients can Print!

Big Thanks!

Last edited by Bomb@ (2012-08-25 22:29:50)

Board footer