You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-09 20:40:00

lilsirecho
Veteran

Systemd install(Abandoned)

The wiki lists several stps to install systemd as shown :

1.A pure systemd installation
2.Install systemd from the official repositories.
3.Add init=/bin/systemd to the kernel parameters in your bootloader.
4.Create systemd configuration files.
5.Reboot, then Enable services with systemctl enable service. systemd services replace the daemons from /etc/rc.conf.
6Reboot and remove the init=... entry.
7.Manually remove initscripts, and then install systemd-sysvcompat.

Performed the steps 1-4 using a charted cofiguration found in wiki.

Did not do anything else but that charted list, mostly /etc files.

Rebooted and tried the step5 which reported error, probably because I had no services specified.  I interpret the step to mean that the daemons from rc.conf were replaced by systemd services...even though I never addressed any services.

Step 6 was then performed.

Step 7 requires "install"of systemd-sysvcompat but does not indicate what is meant by "install".  Does it mean "enter" systemd-sysvcompat somewhere in the grub area?  Is it to replace the entry of initscripts which was removed?

Is the system required to utilize "services"?

My understanding of "install" is either pacman or pacstrap...................

Please clarify these instructions for this old man!

Last edited by lilsirecho (2012-09-10 22:10:37)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2012-09-09 21:08:03

karol
Archivist

Re: Systemd install(Abandoned)

Have you tried installing it with pacman?
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort … =&limit=50

#3 2012-09-09 21:16:07

hermanr

You should only proceed with step 6 if there were no problems booting the system with init=/bin/systemd, and you are certain that all configuration settings in /etc/rc.conf have been moved to their respective configuration files. Enable services for all the daemons in DAEMONS="...", if applicable.

In step 7 you remove sysvinit/initscripts compatibility by uninstalling initscripts and by installing systemd-sysvcompat with pacman (pacman -R initscripts; pacman -S systemd-sysvcompat).

It worked for me.

#4 2012-09-09 21:22:25

lilsirecho
Veteran

Karol:

The instructions do not specify using pacman and in fact do not allude to permitting the system to boot at that step.

I beg for better wiki info to ensure no mistrakes since this procedure makes systemd permanent (possibly not backwards compatible if such is possible).

If it indeed means to permit booting in the normal system boot mode, then a step naming pacman install of systemd-sysvcompat is mandatory.  Why be so curt with such info wherein every other step is spelled out(except the extent of configuration files perhaps!).

As i requested, clarify...................

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2012-09-09 21:31:32

mhertz

Some of the daemons I previously added to rc.conf, where allready set to enabled when I converted to systemd, like e.g. alsa and acpid...

To see which ones is available, there names and which is enabled, then run 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

For the ones which is needed, but arent in that list, you'll need to make your own service files for...

And "install" of course means a pacman install, when nothing else is mentioned...

#6 2012-09-09 22:19:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

Mhertz
Of course it means pacman install after removing initscripts but the first staement places the sequence at the grub window...that is the rub for me.

I have booted and removed initscripts and then installed systemd-sysvcompat.

Now things are supposed to be ready to go.

This is what comes up with the suggested entry after booting:

sh-4.2# systemctl list-unit-files
Failed to get unit file list: No such file or directory
sh-4

This interprets that I haven't done things right even though all steps were performed (with the exception of any service files).

Are some of those required in configuration?

Or has my install failed even though a pertinent reply, however reporting and error, suggests the system is now systemd

Performed the following:

sh-4.2# systemdctl
sh: systemdctl: command not found
sh-4.2# systemctl
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/systemd/private: No such file or directory
sh-4.2# 

Maybe systemd isn't there?

#7 2012-09-09 22:37:43

mhertz

I'll take a guess that you haven't rebooted through systemd yet?

Edit: According to tomegun, It's probably a systemd bug that makes systemctl not usable before having booted through systemd allready...

Last edited by mhertz (2012-09-09 22:50:06)

#8 2012-09-09 23:23:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

That seems to be a correct guess because when I rebooted things changed a bit drastically.

I don't think there was a mention of having to reboot in the setup.

When I did get back to the system, I no longer booted into my xfce4 desktop.  I expected that to happen which means that a service is required, probably.

I also noted that rc.conf and rc.local were now pacnew.

Also cannot use pacman nor jumanji .

Since rc.local is no more, the root login has to be utilized.

By the way, my system is raid0 latest kernel.

So I assume I have to search the wiki for xfce4 fix but have no idea on how to get pacman or jumanji back.

The probable solution involves more install steps not provided directly in the setup of systemd permanent.

I expected troubles and I got them...at least it isn't kernel panic!!!

It certainly isn't one thing fits all!!!

#9 2012-09-09 23:39:01

mhertz

Yes, rc.conf and rc.local etc. aren't there anymore, as the're part of initscripts which you've uninstalled.

I don't know why you cannot use pacman and jumanji...

To start X upon bootup through systemd, i use a xinit.service file described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … rvice_file, but there's also other solutions in that article...

#10 2012-09-09 23:40:14

Barrucadu
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

That seems to be a correct guess because when I rebooted things changed a bit drastically.

I don't think there was a mention of having to reboot in the setup.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … stallation
"Reboot, then Enable services with systemctl enable service. systemd services replace the daemons from /etc/rc.conf."

lilsirecho wrote:

Also cannot use pacman nor jumanji .

Why not? What happens? The init system doesn't affect whether you can use pacman or not.

lilsirecho wrote:

Since rc.local is no more, the root login has to be utilized.

What do you mean? rc.local is not required to log-in as a user other than root.

#11 2012-09-10 00:15:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

Barracadu
I have only root no users.

I tried the enable services and received an error message.  I can try that again but I suspect the main problem is no static IP.  The xfce4 service file will possibly restore the boot into desktop.

I use static ip and nameservers and did not expect that the internet access would be eliminated by installing the systemd as per the wiki.  Services required is not a statement in the wiki, at this systemd permanent install section which ends with a reboot.
I note after much perusing that I cannot use the main wiki for static IP but have to go elsewhere for another wiki.

With internet restored, I am positive pacman and jumanji will respond.

In looking at the wiki concerning static IP's, I am not certain if both of the supplied examples are required for the service file.  My system has data in both rc.conf and resolv.conf which are pertinent to access the internet and I don't know how to correct the problem which involves a service file.

In /etc/systemd/system I do not find ...network.service.  I can only assume it will either be installed after I do something with the wiki for static IP or I have to create a ...network.service file to put the static IP data into>  which?

Basically, the tone of the wiki indicates that all is done when systemd-sysvcompat is installed.  This does not fit every case and should be so noted , especially if static ip is required with dns servers.

This change does not seem straightforward but requires extra servicing to restore normal arch performance.

I must now learn how to make a service file entry.

I realize that to each his own applies to this major system operating scheme but a better wiki reference would help to unsnarl it.

#12 2012-09-10 01:43:10

cfr

Er...

First, the wiki is supported by those who contribute to it. If you think it should be improved, improve it.

Second, you seem to have ignored the wiki completely. It clearly tells you to enable services to replace the DAEMONS in rc.conf *before* getting rid of initscripts. But you didn't do that. So it isn't surprising it doesn't work because nothing has replaced the DAEMONS from rc.conf.

I think rc.conf etc. should have become .pacsave files *not* .pacnew files.

There is a list in the wiki of service/daemon equivalents.

resolv.conf is still used as far as I know - you shouldn't need to change that. Just replace the DAEMONS from rc.conf with relevant services and you should be set.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#13 2012-09-10 02:49:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

CFR
The wiki can only be supported by those who have the info required for this process which is made all the more confusing because of the many,many ways of using archlinux.

This wiki carries too many items to be followed accurately.  I fail to see where I didn't set up my config correctly because there is a chart describing what is needed in the wiki (way down the list).

As to the daemons you refer to, I haven't found the statement stating this is the daemons you must setup as.............

If I must have services established before doing the systemd install that I am using, those services belong ahead of the install sequence not just be referenced there.  How these services are established doesn't seem to be described.

I have attempted to modify .../etc/systemd/system to add a network.service file with my static IP parameters included and it does not permit internet access.  Probably isn't the right way to approach the details.

The list of daemons you mention is the chart that I referred to and my files reflect the details therein listed.  Perhaps I don't follow what is to be done if the files listed there are correct? Are they transferred to some other place? 

I find it hard to jump from one place to another, wiki to wiki and not lose the proper sequencing of the activity.

Your last statement seems to indicate what is to be done with "relevant services" in place of the DAEMONS in rc.conf.  But where do these daemons (now called "relevant services") get placed?

I agree that I have not followed the wiki exactly and tried to explain the confusion that results from trying to satisfy all problems in one fell swoop as this wiki does.  If services are paramount, they should be described firstly since the system will fail without critical services.

I cannot see how I can contribute to the wiki without knowledge of what is paramount.  There are so many procedures in linux that need service files such that I would never attempt to be a guru in systemd because I don't know most of them.

IMHO the wiki is too-involved with too many items.  I do not see a definition of how to make a service file in the wiki, and maybe I am blind to it.  I would enjoy having an example which describes the process.  KISS

In Hawaii, wiki wiki means "quickly"  Placing the service datas in a separate place would simplify presentation of the underlying install details, thus "wiki".

Thank you for your post.  I shall try again after ingesting more info.

#14 2012-09-10 04:28:03

Scimmia
Fellow

lilsirecho wrote:

If I must have services established before doing the systemd install that I am using, those services belong ahead of the install sequence not just be referenced there.  How these services are established doesn't seem to be described.

I have attempted to modify .../etc/systemd/system to add a network.service file with my static IP parameters included and it does not permit internet access.  Probably isn't the right way to approach the details.

For you with a static IP, you can see this page on how to configure it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … es#Network

Most services are already established and only need to be enabled. If you were using netcfg or something similar, all you would have to do is systemctl enable netcfg.service

Now for booting to xfce, are you using a display manager? If so, just enable the service for it.

Edited to simplify.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-09-10 04:43:43)

#15 2012-09-10 04:31:03

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

lilsirecho, you have been a member here since 2003, and you have almost 5000 posts. Why do you need so much hand-holding? Why have so many other people been able to install systemd with no problems (using the wiki which you claim is inadequate)? Why is it that when you have problems you blindly push on to the next step, before consulting the wiki or even posting on the forum? When the wiki says "install systemd-sysvcompat" do you really need it to say "using pacman"? After nine years of using Arch I would think you would understand that.

The wiki is perfectly adequate for most people. Many people have installed systemd with no trouble at all. Expand your brain and THINK. You have been able to install and maintain Arch for many years. This should not be a big problem for you.

I'm sorry if you find this post harsh and unreasonable, but I am frustrated by your apparent inflexibility in the face of (what to me is) minor change.

Take a deep breath, and read the wiki again. It's really all in there.

#16 2012-09-10 06:04:23

WonderWoofy

2ManyDogs wrote:

lilsirecho, you have been a member here since 2003, and you have almost 5000 posts. Why do you need so much hand-holding?

I was thinking the same thing!

@lilsirecho, I too have installed systemd without issue, and it seemed as though the wiki provided more than enough info.  I too was apprehensive about changing init systems, but don't let it intimidate you.

#17 2012-09-10 13:59:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

Gents, my system is raid0 bootable grub2 partitioned boot.  I fear that systemd will blow it.

So far, it hasn't haooened.  Because I have only two partitions, boot and root and the system is raided, I have to address the content with /dev/md(x).  I have no users.  The internet fails even after editing the network.service.

As I previously posted, I have edited a network.service file....not a folder or directory as per the service files wiki.

I don't understand how to apply that two-tiered static IP service called "network.service" into i/etc/systemd/system/network.service.  I installed my edited file to systemd/system in a chroot to no avail.

If I have performed steps out of sequence which prevents that service file from activating, no notice of that requirement for correct sequence.

Activating the internet will solve the pacman and jumanji problem and whatever is left will be corrected easily..

Am I to use.....systemctl enable network.service to activate the service file?

The wiki states.... systemctl enable services....meaning to this user any and all services.

What is to be performed on the first tier of the network.service setup?  The second tier hs allowances for all the static IP data that I have edited for eth0.  Perhaps there is an error therein.  I find broadcast listed twice and left it be, entering the broadcast data in the appropriate area.

Typing by this user produces many typos, aggravating!

Thanks for the posts.   I think I need a Gatorade!

#18 2012-09-10 14:27:45

KairiTech

You can take a look at my script [Solved] Install script for system encrypted pure UEFI/systemd Arch post to see how I installed Arch using the latest Archboot media.

It has no GRUB but it is systemd from the get-go. You may find the techniques I used useful.

#19 2012-09-10 16:03:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

KairiTech:

Thanks for the info. My system is far from that you have referenced, much simpler.

I attempted to run the wiki item:.... systemctl enable service, substituting.... networkservice for the service.

The result was :  Failed to issue method call:Invalid argument.......

Something seems to be missing but what it is I haven't a clue.

#20 2012-09-10 16:15:31

lilsirecho
Veteran

The status of the SYSTEM/SERVICES listing for static ethernet is presented below:

This is a custom service file for static Ethernet configurations. For other configurations, see Systemd#Network
/etc/conf.d/network
interface=eth0
address=192.168.0.1
netmask=24
broadcast=192.168.0.255
gateway=192.168.0.254
/etc/systemd/system/network.service
[Unit]
Description=Network Connectivity
Wants=network.target
Before=network.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/network
ExecStart=/sbin/ip link set dev ${interface} up
ExecStart=/sbin/ip addr add ${address}/${netmask} broadcast ${broadcast} dev ${interface}
ExecStart=/sbin/ip route add default via ${gateway}
ExecStop=/sbin/ip addr flush dev ${interface}
ExecStop=/sbin/ip link set dev ${interface} down

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
It seems strange that the broadcast entry is preceded by a broadcast statement.

I have edited this file to include my pertinent data but what do I do with it after editing?

Obviously, I cannot access wiki data in the systemd boot so I have to edit the Systemd/Services file in another operating setup. So begs the question what to do with the modified file.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2012-09-10 16:22:21)

#21 2012-09-10 17:49:40

Barrucadu
Website

To start it now and have it start on boot:

# systemctl enable network.service
# systemctl start network.service

#22 2012-09-10 17:58:38

lilsirecho
Veteran

Barracadu:

I guess you missed my comment about the systemctl enable network.service which fails.

Will try it again.

EDIT:  Same failure as posted before.

Perhaps I cannot use SYSTEM/SERVICES wiki and edit it therein for static IP without having some way to place it in the systemd wiki so that the enable step works.  The file has been edited but where do I put it?  Does it appear automatically in systemd?  What do I do with the dhcp file which has wrong ip entries.........................

Last edited by lilsirecho (2012-09-10 18:51:04)

#23 2012-09-10 22:52:41

KairiTech

lilsirecho wrote:

KairiTech:

Thanks for the info. My system is far from that you have referenced, much simpler.

I attempted to run the wiki item:.... systemctl enable service, substituting.... networkservice for the service.

The result was :  Failed to issue method call:Invalid argument.......

Something seems to be missing but what it is I haven't a clue.

I've never had to start the network service. Just the dhcp service and the network was active no the next boot and thereafter.

systemctl enable dhcpcd@.service

And when I removed sysvinit and initscript in addition to systemd I installed systemd-sysvcompat and systemd-arch-units also.

pacman -Rs sysvinit initscripts

pacman -Su systemd{,-sysvcompat} systemd-arch-units

#24 2012-09-10 23:51:25

cfr

Try without braces? systemd handles variables weirdly (simplistically) but I can't now find where I read the details and I can't remember them.

Last edited by cfr (2012-09-10 23:52:51)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#25 2012-09-10 23:58:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You're have a networking problem because you don't have a DHCP server and hence have to use static IP, yet your first reaction is to try and write a service file? Get your network running using ip addr first....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer