You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-03 22:22:30

Haikarainen

Download a whole thread as XML?

I can download an XML-feed of a thread using FluxBB's feed-generator, but with a limit on 50 posts. Is it possible to download one whole thread? If not, I'd still hugely appreciate an exception (like if a mod exported the thread directly and sent it to my mail). I understand if this is much to ask for, let me explain;

I want to download the whole "Laptops which run ArchLinux" thread  ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=22816 ), parse the contents to give me a more adapted output for my needs, and then set up a database of laptops which run ArchLinux (queryable by vendor, model , serialno, wifi/gpu-hardware etc) to easier look up laptops, check what works  exactly, solutions to make it work, make it easier to fix common problems on laptops etc.

To begin with I'll have to manually go through every single post, add an item to the database with the info the post contains (for example; Vendor: Acer, Model: T230i, Other info: blabla), to get the contents from the thread in to the database in the best way possible. If a mod could contact me I might be able to write a script that sends a PM to each of the original posters with a link to their converted entry to the database, so that they could complete their entry (if they are still interested). This is not something I dare to try myself (forced spam on someone elses website isn't my cup of tea) but if a mod think its a good idea, message me.

Of course I would keep this project open, I'm also thinking about opensourcing it and letting people download databasecontents(users excluded). It would also be great if we could link this user-system to the Arch Forums user-system, something I've actually thought about regarding the AUR and as well. Again I'm asking for a bar mitzvah here, but they're all suggestions.

Please tell me what you guys think, I am currently on sick leave(few months) from my work as a system developer and bored/understimulated off my ass, I'd love to make this happen.

#2 2012-10-03 22:25:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Download a whole thread as XML?

Are there any laptops discussed in that thread that do not already have a page on the arch wiki?  Why reinvent the wheel?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-10-03 22:29:07

Haikarainen

Trilby wrote:

Are there any laptops discussed in that thread that do not already have a page on the arch wiki?  Why reinvent the wheel?

I think the idea of one thread in a forum and wikipages are flawed for the purpose, and that the purpose itself(whole laptop-lookup-thingy) has more potential than it is currently using.

For example, I tried searching for my laptop in that exact thread a month ago or something, but after 1 search (since you can only search subforum-wide) I gave up because I'd have to wait another 30 sec between searches. Searching the Wiki found me nothing on that specific laptop, although the wikipages is a nice resource to complement the database.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, I am trying to make it rounder (too bumpy ride for me as it is now).

#4 2012-10-03 22:50:06

karol
Archivist

Haikarainen wrote:

I gave up because I'd have to wait another 30 sec between searches.

Why not use Google

<searchterm> site:bbs.archlinux.org

Last edited by karol (2012-10-03 22:52:17)

#5 2012-10-03 22:53:27

Haikarainen

karol wrote:
Haikarainen wrote:

I gave up because I'd have to wait another 30 sec between searches.

Why not use Google

<searchterm> site:bbs.archlinux.org

Not my first thought really, and now it is too late. tongue

Stop looking for reasons not to, there are so many reasons to!

Board footer