You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 09:50:09

shohart
Member
Registered: 2011-05-19
Posts: 39

can`t create partitions on external hdd

hello, folks!
i have 60Gb hdd which previously was inside my xbox360 and now it is inside external storage usb case and i am trying to format it in any fs which i can use in everyday life.
but nothing happens!
when i attach hdd to a pc, fdisk tells me that it has no partition table, so i create a new one, it goes well, than i try to crate new partition in ext2,3,4 ntfs, jfs, whatever.... and it goes well too, but when everything is done and i am trying fdisk -l to see if everythin ok, i see an empty /dev/sdc with no partiotions and the partition table itself again!
i red somewhere that xbox locks its hdd whe shuts down... but i have no posibility to unlock it now... is there any method to format this hdd? brake the lock or whatever....

Offline

#2 2012-10-05 17:52:28

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

You didn't mention what kind of HDD it is ?
It would be helpful if you can give more details.


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#3 2012-10-05 18:11:29

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 12,412

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

Silly question.  You did use the 'W' command inside fdisk to actually commit the table from the workspace in memory back to the drive, right?


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2012-10-05 18:13:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,059

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

a good gui tool for this is gparted live.


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

#5 2012-10-08 12:25:50

shohart
Member
Registered: 2011-05-19
Posts: 39

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

hadrons123 wrote:

You didn't mention what kind of HDD it is ?
It would be helpful if you can give more details.

well it is sata 60 GB 2,5 inch hdd...by fujitsu.
made in thailand))

what should i say more?
fdisk -l shows this:

Disk /dev/sdc: 60.0 GB, 60011641856 bytes, 117210238 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Offline

#6 2012-10-08 12:27:49

shohart
Member
Registered: 2011-05-19
Posts: 39

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

ewaller wrote:

Silly question.  You did use the 'W' command inside fdisk to actually commit the table from the workspace in memory back to the drive, right?

yes, i do)) silly by logicaly right question.))

Offline

#7 2012-10-08 12:29:49

shohart
Member
Registered: 2011-05-19
Posts: 39

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

Inxsible wrote:

a good gui tool for this is gparted live.

yeah i tried gparted. got same result, only in gui.

Offline

#8 2012-10-08 12:48:40

stefanwilkens
Member
From: Enschede, the Netherlands
Registered: 2008-12-10
Posts: 624

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

Regarding the locking:
xbox / xbox 360 hard drives are locked with a key stored in the xbox's EEPROM. If you still have the xbox and it's modded, you can use homebrew applications like ConfigMagic to unlock the harddrive fairly simply.

The method to do so without the xbox is more involved. Since I'm not sure on this forum's policy, I wont like to guides describing that. They do exist, however smile

Note that these activities may result in an xbox live ban.


Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

Offline

#9 2012-11-11 10:51:03

shohart
Member
Registered: 2011-05-19
Posts: 39

Re: can`t create partitions on external hdd

stefanwilkens wrote:

Regarding the locking:
xbox / xbox 360 hard drives are locked with a key stored in the xbox's EEPROM. If you still have the xbox and it's modded, you can use homebrew applications like ConfigMagic to unlock the harddrive fairly simply.

The method to do so without the xbox is more involved. Since I'm not sure on this forum's policy, I wont like to guides describing that. They do exist, however smile

Note that these activities may result in an xbox live ban.

hmmm, man i would apreciate if you would help me with this "methods". i send you PM, but did not recieve any answer..

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB