You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-06 08:07:44

rg_arc

Trying to bridge connections to an xbox360 with no luck[SOLVED]

I am trying to set it up so that I can either 1) have an ad hoc connection between my arch linux computer so I can stream music to the xbox and/or 2) Bridge a connection between the ethernet link between the xbox and computer... to the wireless connection to the internet on a router.

I have configured my xbox to have a static ip configuration such as

My arch computer is connected to the router (not with internet... just local) with an ip of 192.168.1.2 on the DHCP server. I am using networkmanager to get on the internet or do any networking. However, even though I am able to connect to the router and the xbox on the same router using ethernet cables... I am still unable to ping the xbox from my computer. Also, even though I have clearly specified a host name, the router doesn't assign a host name to my computer. UPnP is enabled and assigned to my xbox on the router as well.

I have tried to open up the networkmanager dialogue with the nm-applet and change the settings for a ad hoc network between the xbox and computer but I can't "save" the settings using the gui interface. I am not sure where to look in order to resolve these issues but if I can at least get my computer to connect to the xbox I believe I can work from there.

Thanks ahead of time for any help/suggestions.

Last edited by rg_arc (2012-10-09 06:07:19)

#2 2012-10-06 12:19:40

stqn
Website

Re: Trying to bridge connections to an xbox360 with no luck[SOLVED]

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t understand much of what you wrote. “have an ad hoc connection between my arch linux computer”? (Something’s missing here.) “Bridge a connection between the ethernet link between the xbox and computer... to the wireless connection to the internet on a router”?? “connected to the router (not with internet... just local)”???

#3 2012-10-06 13:26:19

ANOKNUSA

1) Google is your friend

2)  I don't know what you mean by this.

#4 2012-10-06 18:51:09

nomorewindows

Are the addresses from your DHCP server the same subnet as the manually fixed IP of the xbox?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2012-10-06 20:09:56

ewaller
Administrator

A couple things:
You appear to be using a static address for the X box.   Can you confirm that.
You use the word bridge.  That means something very specific when talking about networks.  I think that may be misleading us.

Here is what I think you mean.   "I have a router that controls my private address space network.  My arch box uses a dynamic address and is assigned 192.168.1.2.  I am setting a static address for my X box of 192.168.1.3/24 and I have told it to use 192.168.1.1 as my gateway.  I cannot ping 192.168.1.3 from my Arch box."

If that is your problem, the answer is that the router knows there is something attached to one of its ports, but it does not know what the address of that device is.  Not knowing that, it does not know to sent data destined for 192.168.1.3 to that port.  You need to get the router to learn that route.  You can do that by adding it to the router tables by logging into the router from the Arch box, You can tell the Xbox to use a dynamic address, or, sometimes (depends on the router) if you access the Internet from the Xbox, the router will figure it out.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-10-06 20:11:40

ewaller
Administrator

nomorewindows,
Good point, but his Arch box address is dynamic and is on the same subnet as the static one he picked for the Xbox.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#7 2012-10-07 03:50:25

rg_arc

@ewaller: I did give my xbox a static address and they all have the same subnet (255.255.255.0). So are you suggesting I should set up my xbox in the "static routes table" dialogue for my router? I don't have it hooked up to the internet and I do not intend on hooking it up just yet. I just want to have connectivity between my arch box and the xbox. I understand now why I can't ping my xbox... thanks. I just need to check a few things.

#8 2012-10-07 04:27:38

ewaller
Administrator

Yes.  Adding the Xbox to the static routes table is probably what you want to do.  As to the subnet, no 255.255.255.0 is the mask (there are 24 bits of '1' followed by 8 bits of '0')  That means that the first 24 bits define the subnet.  In other words, to talk to each other on a simple home router, the first 3 octets of the IP have to be the same (192.168.1.whatever)

---

#9 2012-10-07 04:50:10

rg_arc

I noticed that in the router dialogue, it mentions that if I am connecting to one other device it should be 255.255.255.255 instead of ...0. This is a bit confusing actually. Another thing, I tried to put in all the necessary information in the routes table and hit "apply" afterwards the router actually changed the "destination ip" to 192.168.1.0. Why is this happening?

#10 2012-10-08 04:27:46

rg_arc

ewaller wrote:

Yes.  Adding the Xbox to the static routes table is probably what you want to do.  As to the subnet, no 255.255.255.0 is the mask (there are 24 bits of '1' followed by 8 bits of '0')  That means that the first 24 bits define the subnet.  In other words, to talk to each other on a simple home router, the first 3 octets of the IP have to be the same (192.168.1.whatever)

Ah thats right.. thanks for clearing that up again.

Even though I have everything setup properly, I still can't ping or access the xbox from my arch computer. Would this have anything to do with host names? I know that when I am using the exact same setup when I am logged into windows the xbox has a name and it shows up in the network device list. Arch doesn't seem to show anything in the network except for the routers and the name for those routers. The xbox will ask me which computer to access... and it only shows computers that are "not listed"... which basically means the xbox either cannot see the computer on the network at all or the host name just isn't showing up. I have a host name setup for arch.. which is why this is confusing for me.

#11 2012-10-08 13:02:04

nomorewindows

I had a device that connected to the internet through my internet sharing Arch box, wired through wireless.  It wouldn't work with the dhcp assigned address, the address of the device had to be static.  Even with all of that, it still said that it wasn't connected to the internet, to the device's satisfaction, but the firmware was getting updated. 

Is the Xbox accepting pings?  Some devices don't allow pinging them.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#12 2012-10-08 13:59:46

alphaniner

nomorewindows wrote:

Is the Xbox accepting pings?  Some devices don't allow pinging them.

I think the 360 doesn't respond to pings.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#13 2012-10-08 21:56:22

rg_arc

Apparently the Xbox doesn't respond to anything related to arch linux. I am assuming that is all due to the fact that it isn't a windows based OS/PC. If I can find a way to get my music files on arch to sync up to the xbox I will be satisfied with the results. As for getting the internet connection to bridge with my xbox... I guess I will just use windows for now.

EDIT: http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking … orkManager

I had no idea NetworkManager didn't support bridging... sigh

Last edited by rg_arc (2012-10-08 22:06:08)

#14 2012-10-08 23:36:57

nomorewindows

If you're trying to accomplish #2, all you need is in the internet sharing wiki, featuring iptables.
Your arch machine would also need a fixed IP if it's going to share it's connection, most likely what will happen.  Then you can tag onto your wireless connection, and then enable ip forwarding in sysctl.conf.  You have to use a masquerade with iptables to get the job done.

Look ma, no mouse.

#15 2012-10-09 06:07:00

rg_arc

thanks alot... I haven't fixed my problem yet... but I feel I have enough information about it to fix it now so I will mark it as solved.

Board footer