You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-24 16:55:02

saty

How to disable pulseaudio?

I had to install pulseaudio without actually intending to use it as a dependency for spice-gtk. I'm not sure if it's only a build dependency but that's for another topic.

I'm using KDE only with gstreamer backend. I found this topic on the issue, but the proposed fix - editing /etc/pulse/client.conf didn't have any effect.
I'll be happy to provide any additional information that may be necessary.

Fast EDIT:

This probably had to go in the multimedia forum section. I'll appreciate if someone can move it there. Sorry for the troubles.

Last edited by saty (2012-10-24 17:01:26)

#2 2012-10-24 23:29:28

Xabre

Re: How to disable pulseaudio?

Are you in fact claiming that spice-gtk doesn't require pulseaudio to work?
If so, replace pulseaudio with libpulse in dependancies, and rebuild the package...

Last edited by Xabre (2012-10-24 23:38:15)

#3 2012-10-25 03:10:56

ewaller
Administrator

saty wrote:

Fast EDIT:

This probably had to go in the multimedia forum section. I'll appreciate if someone can move it there. Sorry for the troubles.

Done

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2012-10-25 04:50:47

saty

Xabre wrote:

Are you in fact claiming that spice-gtk doesn't require pulseaudio to work?
If so, replace pulseaudio with libpulse in dependancies, and rebuild the package...

Not at all. I'm not even sure exactly what spice-gtk does.

ewaller wrote:

Done

Thanks.

Am I really stuck with pulseaudio if I want spice-gtk?
I'm actually coming from opensuse and remember having some yast trickery there to leave pulse installed but not having it started.
Is infact having "autospawn = no" the way this is supposed to be done?

Last edited by saty (2012-10-25 04:56:10)

#5 2012-10-25 06:51:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

saty wrote:

Am I really stuck with pulseaudio if I want spice-gtk?

Your question is about pulseaudio, and to be disabled it needs edits in several places (not just autospawn=no) I believe. A google will tell you how, I've never done it.

However, the more pertinent and basic question is, why spice-gtk? What's wrong with spice?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2012-10-25 07:58:50

ZekeSulastin

I would at least try to just rebuild it with only libpulse available and see what happens.  Additionally, go into a copy of the extracted source (makepkg -o can help) and run ./configure --help - there may be a --disable-pulseaudio option or some such you can pass in the PKGBUILD, thereby allowing you to remove any pulse-based dependencies.

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2012-10-25 07:59:47)

#7 2012-10-25 14:31:30

saty

Thanks for the replies.

All started from this thread - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151231. With only spice installed virt-manager didn't work with SPICE display.

I'll mess around with the whole issue some more and see what happens. I thought the less painful way will be to leave pulseaudio and just not use it, but I might have better ways to deal with it.

Most of the stuff I found when I first looked into this is gnome related. I suppose with kde the process should be somewhat simpler.

Last edited by saty (2012-10-25 14:37:01)

Board footer