This printer used to work OK with Arch printing wirelessly, although it would usually require me to enable it, as it kept disabling itself. However, I now can't print to it at all after some recent updates. So here is what I have tried so far:
* Delete printer via cups or KDE printer applet.
* Re-install via hp-setup. Setup proceeds correctly, printer is detected and added OK. However once setup hp-toolbox shows:
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/Officejet_4500_G510n-z?zc=HP0EB579 error: Device not found
Repeat install via hp-toolbox, but running as root. Same result.
Repeat steps above, but with printer connected via usb. Same result as above.
* Connect via usb to Ubuntu box. Printer detected and works. Hooray!
* Try to add printer on Ubuntu box to Arch computer via cups. Cups detects and adds the printer without errors.
* Go to print test page from Arch box:
processing since Tue 04 Dec 2012 08:59:22 GMT "Unable to locate printer "myth3.local"."
* Break nose after banging head on desk.
Last edited by geekinthesticks (2012-12-05 08:56:51)
Happened to me after switching to systemd, same printer, and if not same, very close error.
I fixed it by enabling avahi-daemon on systemd
# systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service
If you recelntly switched to systemd, you should also enable cups
# systemctl enable cupsd.service
Also, I needed a reboot, since my "session" was not set up correctly after a couples of weeks uptime.
Then, I added my printer via hp-setup, and now is working (not wirelessly, but over network), and also is the scanner. The fax remains untested.
Hope this helps.
I did have avahi and cups enabled on systemd. However, since I first set up avahi I notice that I needed to install nss-mdns and add mdns to the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Once I had done this I was able to add the printer via cups and it prints. I'll mark this as solved.