You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-03 16:40:06

roobre

Problem forwarding GUI application (jDownloader) from ssh to vnc.

Hi there!
I own a dedicated server with Arch, on which I run, among other things, some utilities to download files, which I later re-download to any of my local PCs.
I have correctly set up Transmission-daemon + Web interface some months ago, and now I wanted to do something like that with jDownloader.
I got a bit disappointed when I noticed that jd has no "natural" way to run as daemon, but I found some solutions on the net tha would do the trick. The most interesting one for me was this one:
http://www.meltit.com.ar/how-to-jdownlo … server-x11 (English-translated at the end of the post).

I followed the steps, adapting some ones to arch, and I managed to start an xterm and showing it on my vnc in local. But jDownloader refuses to start. I tried the aur package, and the shell script that they provide on their webpage, but I always get the same error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.font.FontConfigManager.getFontConfigFont(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.X11FontManager.getFontConfigFUIR(Unknown Source)
        at sun.font.FontUtilities.getFontConfigFUIR(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusDefaults.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(Unknown Source)
        at jd.update.Main.initGUI(Main.java:441)
        at jd.update.Main.main(Main.java:129)
ERROR null

I see that it's soemthing related with fonts, but I can't deduce anything else from that...
Any hint out there, guys?

Regards, and thanks in advance :3

PD: I leave you here the full output, but I think the other exceptions are not fatal.

Last edited by roobre (2013-01-03 16:43:19)

#2 2013-01-04 18:05:09

chris_l

Re: Problem forwarding GUI application (jDownloader) from ssh to vnc.

Try with xpra. Read the wiki article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xpra

I use it to run programs on my remote virtual machine, display the output on my local pc (via ssh), and it allows me to detach and reattach again without lossing the state.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

Board footer