You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-10 08:10:13

whoops

[solved]netcfg: only reconnect "Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant"

Hi!

I'm getting

% sudo netcfg -r wlana
:: wlana down                                                                                                                 [ DONE ] 
:: wlana up                                                                                                                   [ BUSY ] 
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
^C%                                                                                                                                  
% sudo netcfg -r wlana
 > Profile not connected
:: wlana up                                                                                                                   [ DONE ] 

... repeatedly while netcfg seems to hang in that loop, but only on every second reconnect (Meaning when the connection is already up; Initial connection works. Starting at the first "netcfg -r" I get the message. Hitting strg+c and starting it a third time means it works again... and so on). Other than that, all of netcfg / wifi works just fine. I experience none of the problems that are (according to archwiki + google) usually connected to this error message.

Using the standard wpa_supplicant.conf. Manual connection works fine... only one instance of wpa_supplicant is running while netcfg is working. No instance at all is running, while it's spamming the error / failing to reconnect.

Last edited by whoops (2013-05-04 07:24:28)

#2 2013-01-10 10:45:13

notphunny

Re: [solved]netcfg: only reconnect "Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant"

I have the same problem,

I created  /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel

fast_reauth=1
ap_scan=0

As https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant suggests

I also append this in /etc/conf.d/netcfg

WPA_CONF="/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

but without luck hmm

so I'm tired of running netcfg -r profile two times sad((
please help

#3 2013-01-10 12:53:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I've seen this in many posts - I've never used netcfg, but it seems it doesn't actually check whether wpa_supplicant or dhcpcd are running before it tries to restart them.  This leads to many errors as they cannot be restarted until the previous instance is shut down.  I'd report this upstream as a bug, it is ridiculous for it not to check and shutdown previous instances ... and it is simple for it to do so.

EDIT: solution: don't use netcfg.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-10 12:53:35)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-05-04 07:24:07

whoops

This seems to have fixed itself. Don't know why, but it might have had something to do with other devices on the network that were trying to force to router to use different wifi settings / speed.

Last edited by whoops (2013-05-04 07:26:27)

Board footer