You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-10 08:59:39

whoops

transmission (gtk) not honoring up/bandwidth limits (huge overhead?)

Hi!

I only have 10-20kB/s upstream bandwidth here which is why I set my limit in transmission-gtk to 10kB/s. It says it's uploading only with 10kB/s, but my router shows it's getting 80kB/s, which of course doesn't work well / almost blocks everything even though I have QoS & bandwidth limitation set to give it only a low priority / rate. The 70kB/s that shouldn't be there consist of 20-40 connections uploading to different peers @1-2kB/s each, all using transmissions source port UDP and a semi-random dest port.

Any hints on how to fix this?

#2 2013-01-10 15:55:33

smaug
Website

Re: transmission (gtk) not honoring up/bandwidth limits (huge overhead?)

Perhaps try a different torrent client, you could try Vuze from the AUR ( https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vuze/ ) or maybe try rTorrent from the official repo ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RTorrent )

smaug@dalnet/freenode

#3 2013-01-10 15:59:48

WonderWoofy

Are you sure your router is not measuring in bits and transmission in bytes?  If you are unaware of the difference, it is probably something you should know, so google it.  But the difference would be exactly what is expected.

#4 2013-01-10 16:05:29

smaug
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

Are you sure your router is not measuring in bits and transmission in bytes?  If you are unaware of the difference, it is probably something you should know, so google it.  But the difference would be exactly what is expected.

Good call, never thought about that big_smile

smaug@dalnet/freenode

#5 2013-01-10 16:19:48

whoops

Nope, that can't be it, it displays the correct unit in both places: I tested it's not a bug in my router software by doing controlled up/downloads and the numbers matched...also I can see the actual Upload @10kB/s in my router - the many slower outgoing connections exist in addition to that one. And last but not least...: the "all outgoing requests taking ages or timing out while  transmission is running"-part is pretty noticeable.

Last edited by whoops (2013-01-10 16:20:41)

#6 2013-01-10 16:57:26

swanson

The number of connections total and per torrent might be too high? And the number of active torrents? If you only have like 1-2 Kbits up per torrent, many clients will disconnect and cause more traffic for new connections.

With only 10 Kbits up total for all your torrents I'd set max 5 clients upload total.

Last edited by swanson (2013-01-10 17:02:06)

#7 2013-01-12 16:08:42

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Try disabling uTP in Preferences -> Network.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#8 2013-01-12 16:18:52

anonymous_user

BTW can you reproduce this with transmission-qt or transmission-gtk2 (AUR)? It may be an upstream bug.

#9 2013-03-15 10:19:51

whoops

Yes, same problem with qt/gtk2 version.

With only 10 Kbits up total for all your torrents I'd set max 5 clients upload total.

Could not find that option.

Try disabling uTP in Preferences -> Network.

I did that... Also deactivated PEX / DHT and reduced the number of allowed peers per torrent + total.

The problem seems to be a lot rarer now and I noticed, that it only seems to occur with some torrents and only for some time (it can happen with any download, but then the problem stays with only that download). P.E.: "File X" works fine in the morning, but in the evening having it active "breaks" everything. The next day it works again without making any problems. Reboots (router +pc) or deleting and restarting (file + torrent) don't make it any better, only waiting seems to help. Other torrents / files (can) work fine during this whole time and have no noticeable effect on my web browsers speed etc even at full capacity (down, up, peers etc), but as soon as I start the "breaking torrent" again, everything comes to a halt.

Could this be some sort of "torrent poisoning" or something? Or maybe just misbehaving peers that my QoS etc can't handle? Not sure what's happening and how to figure it out.

Last edited by whoops (2013-03-15 10:21:42)

#10 2013-03-15 11:26:16

lucke

Can you see peers responsible for those connections in torrents' peer lists? What flags do those peers have there? Are they shown to be downloading there? Have you tried disabling Local Peer Discovery?

#11 2013-03-15 11:43:10

whoops

I don't have local peers and I have all non-tracker methods of peer discovery disabled.

The peers that seem to be causing the problem sometimes show up in the list (not sure the lists are in sync as the problem itself make analysing it very sluggish / barely possible and it takes me a while to compare). The matching ones that I found looked random to me (flags, version, up, down, etc). This is probably very unreliable information though... maybe I'm still seeing connections on the router that have long been dropped in transmission or something. Not sure.

Anything special I should pay attention to the next time this problem occurs?

#12 2013-03-15 16:00:24

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Oops, mixed up my tabs and posted in the wrong topic, sorry.

Last edited by WorMzy (2013-03-15 16:01:27)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#13 2013-03-16 00:30:17

lucke

Why does the problem impede analysing the lists?

You say transmission says it's uploading only 10 kB/s, I wonder if indeed you can see in peer lists if the sum of uploads doesn't exceed 10 kB/s, and if you can be sure those naughty connections are from those torrents.

You can use nethogs to see how much bandwidth transmission is using, and iftop to see what connections are there on your network interface and how much bandwidth they are using.

What router are you using?

#14 2013-03-16 08:50:05

whoops

Why does the problem impede analysing the lists?

Because when the problem is clearly visible, that also means everything starts to time out. It's sort of a self-DoS-Attack and by the time I'm half done taking a good look at the problem / collecting information, I usually have to drop all connections, close transmission and restart the network Interface.

Yes, according to the peer list uploads don't exceed 10kb/s (much/often). I don't always find all of the IP's from the connections in the peer list, but I found a couple of them. Also most of them are using transmissions port. The ones that use other ports aren't blocked by the firewall even if I have only transmission running which I guess means that they must have been established by transmission, too, at some point. I checked some connection manually (looking at the port / speed in the router and looking up what uses that port on my machine) - those were all transmission, too.

Haven't tried nethogs yet - that looks a lot easier to use than what I've been doing to get the same information, thanks! I'll have a look at that, next time it happens. There's not much of a doubt if transmission is doing that though, so I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for.

My router is a Asus RT-N16 with Tomato Firmware custom build + various patched & bugfixes and optware.

Last edited by whoops (2013-03-16 08:51:24)

#15 2013-03-16 08:56:30

I've had this problem with Transmission on and off for years, I'm not the only one either.

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewto … =2&t=10784
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewto … f=4&t=7432
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewto … =4&t=11486

On some routers I'm fine, on others not so well.  No matter how conservative my settings my network connection is hammered, I even tried playing with tcp-lp one time and it made no difference what so ever.

I use Deluge now, but that is far from perfect as well as it's idle CPU usage is ridiculous due to twisted.

Board footer