You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-28 00:28:39

bnb2235

Cinnamon crashing too (solved)

Hello,
I installed a new system today. I have gnome and cinnamon. I can start a X session fine from startx with exec gnome-session in .xinitrc. However, if I exec gnome-session-cinnamon, it will launch Cinnamon, wait about ten seconds then crash telling me that something went wrong. If I start into a gnome session and then from terminal type cinnamon --replace, Cinnmaon runs fine. Any ideas? Where should I look to find the problem? I tried this, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156907, but t didn't help me. I even created a new user and it still crashes. Below is my .xsession-errors when starting directly in Cinnamon. I have tried GDM, and XDM too and they made no difference.

GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring-5CGLYl
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=726
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/keyring-5CGLYl/gpg:0:1
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/keyring-5CGLYl/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring-5CGLYl/ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-LVDS1: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to reset xrandr-LVDS1 gamma tables: gamma size is zero
      JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Sun Jan 27 2013 19:09:50 GMT-0500 (EST)
      JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
failed to create drawable
      JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active
gnome-session[700]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' failed to register before timeout
Failed to play sound: File or data not found

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:787): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): wacom-plugin-CRITICAL **: gsd_wacom_device_get_device_type: assertion `GSD_IS_WACOM_DEVICE (device)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): wacom-plugin-CRITICAL **: gsd_wacom_device_get_device_type: assertion `GSD_IS_WACOM_DEVICE (device)' failed

gnome-session[700]: CRITICAL: gsm_manager_set_phase: assertion `GSM_IS_MANAGER (manager)' failed
gnome-session[700]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:723): Gdk-WARNING **: gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.

Window manager warning: Log level 16: cinnamon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
** Message: PID 789 (we are 789) sent signal 15, shutting down...

Thanks

Last edited by bnb2235 (2013-01-29 01:02:25)

#2 2013-01-28 00:33:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Cinnamon crashing too (solved)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-28 02:29:58

bnb2235

Thanks Trilby,
I unchecked all items from Cinnamons applets and gnome-session-properties. Cinnamon still fails. The error log is much smaller :-)

JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Sun Jan 27 2013 21:23:07 GMT-0500 (EST)
gnome-session[731]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' failed to register before timeout
gnome-session[731]: CRITICAL: gsm_manager_set_phase: assertion `GSM_IS_MANAGER (manager)' failed
gnome-session[731]: Gtk-CRITICAL: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 16: cinnamon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

#4 2013-01-29 01:04:05

bnb2235

I'm not so sure I should mark this as solved, but I did get a work around... I installed the git version of Cinnamon and Muffin

#5 2013-02-01 06:23:11

MrWeatherbee

bnb2235 wrote:

I'm not so sure I should mark this as solved, but I did get a work around... I installed the git version of Cinnamon and Muffin

I had the same problem as described in your first post when I updated yesterday. I had been using the AUR (non-GIT) versions up until then, and this was my first installation of the new, official packages of cinnamon and muffin.

I solved the issue by rebuilding the official packages using the ABS PKGBUILDs and re-installing.

If you are like me and prefer as few AUR packages to maintain as possible, you might try rebuilding the official packages to see if that works for you as well. Of course, for this to be less trouble than maintaining AUR packages, we have to assume that we won't be rebuilding the official packages every time an update is required.

Prior to reading your post, I was leaning towards this being a once-only glitch in switching from the AUR packages to the official packages, but that was not the case for you, was it, as you mention you installed a new system?

In any case, at least you know you can fall back to the AUR GIT packages.

#6 2013-02-01 10:41:54

bnb2235

In my case I built a brand new, from scratch system. However, Cinnamon and muffin-wm came from AUR. I am not sure when cinnamon became official, but I am nearly positive it was not before the 27th. Side note, I wonder why nemo-fm did not become official...?

Board footer