You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-01 04:38:44

ParanoidAndroid

mutt, msmtp, tor: error sending mail 'server sent an empty reply'

I've set up mutt+msmtp to handle my mail (mutt is awesome, by the way. I highly recommend it, unless you're overtly fond of GUIs), and I cannot send mail. I use tor by way of iptables, using a NAT rule to force all tcp traffic through tor and a setup with dnsmasq for DNS through tor. Whether I'm being too paranoid is beside the question. I am what I am.

I've ruied out issues with TLS to the best of my ability, and the current error I'm getting is:

Error sending message, child exited 76 (Remote protocol error.).

along with a message saying:

msmtp: the server sent an empty reply

I've been bashing away at the problem for nigh on three hours now, with no solution in sight. does anyone see something I don't? My mutt and msmtp configs are correct, as they worked through tor about a month ago. I was using a similar setup, though I used torify in place of iptables.

[EDIT]
it appears that an "Empty Reply" means that the server sent no response after my message was sent. I took down my firewall as a test and the email was sent, but now I get the response 'Connection reset by peer'. So it is both a tor and remote-server issue.

The 'Connection reset by peer' was an issue received on my yahoo account, but my GMX account sends an empty reply regardless of the firewall state. I am extremely confused.

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid (2013-03-02 22:47:43)

Board footer