You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-28 16:29:19

dakoellis

Gnome-shell crashing on login

Hi All,  I posted this question over in Newbie Corner but didn't get any responses, so I'm trying here:

dakoellis wrote:

I'm having an issue extending my displays.  I was running a virtualbox VM and it hung, so I switched to another tty and killed it.  It was missing from the gnome activities menu, so I rebooted.  At this point, I had the Oh No! warning screen from gnome 3, and couldn't get in.  I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers because I saw this message in dmesg every time I logged in: ( [  641.739833] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12! ) and now I can log in, but my monitors are now stuck on mirrored.  If I try to make them extended again, gnome crashes.  Any ideas?
forgot to add that I did do a pacman -Syu

A few things I have done since then:

I have fedora installed on another partition, and it runs just fine (I have been sharing the home folder while I make the change to arch).  I was able to go into fedora and change my settings to one monitor, which is where I am now.  That leads me to believe that it is a problem with a corrupted arch file and not a configuration error in my home dir.

I have completely removed gnome-shell gdm, and the open source raedon drivers and it gets back to the same problem.

I can work fine with 1 monitor

I can post any logs, but I don't really know what to look for, besides going through them right after the crash, which is where I got the above error from dmesg.  Please help me!

#2 2013-03-29 18:24:14

Ruckus

Re: Gnome-shell crashing on login

I am receiving this same error. Has anyone made any progress with it?

#3 2013-03-29 18:59:44

dakoellis

Nothing yet for me. I'm away from the computer in question for a few days but I'll get back to it in a few days.

#4 2013-04-02 15:49:59

dakoellis

Anybody with any insight? Something I can look for?

For some reason, I can extend displays for a little bit sometimes but then it will crash a bit later.  I don't think it is necessarily reproducible, just seems random to me

#5 2013-04-02 16:17:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

dakoellis wrote:

I posted this question over in Newbie Corner but didn't get any responses, so I'm trying here:

You actually shouldn't do that. Its against the forum rules. Please read them.

If you don't get responses, consider that your post lacks some details. After an appropriate amount of time has passed, you can post another message in the same thread adding some additional relevant information for the problem like things you have tried etc

I have closed your other thread.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2013-04-02 19:05:12

dakoellis

So I did a complete reinstall of Arch and loaded up a new user account and still have the problem.  This leads me to think that it may be a bug somewhere within arch, but I have no idea how to confirm it/where to go next.  Any help please?

#7 2013-04-04 12:37:06

Kubiq

Hi,
I think i have same problem, when i come to work i open up my notebook and connect it to external display and wake it up. Then i see my desktop for like 1 sec and then it crashes and "oh no message appears". Gnome shell crashes few times and then it logs me out. Screens mirrored. when i log in everything is fine. When i suspend pc with and wake it up it works. but when i change screens while it sleeps it crashes :-/ It has to do something with new packages. I cant find which one broke it tho :-(

Kubiq

#8 2013-04-04 14:01:01

dakoellis

Yea that's what I figured.  I just went ahead and upgraded to gnome shell 3.8 from gnome-unstable.  I got some direction from This thread.  For me, upgrading didn't work because of certain dependencies not being met, so I had to remove gnome and gnome-extra and install gnome-shell and gdm.

#9 2013-04-04 19:55:39

Ruckus

Does anyone know if there is a way to run gnome-shell in a debug environment to collect more information? dmesg and Xorg.0.log do not contain much relevant information.

Board footer