You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-09 22:48:08

tazmanian

[solved] kde mime types errors - revisited

Moderator: I split this from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 30#p465830

Today, I updated KDE from 4.10.1-2 to 4.10.2-1. Now, when I log into KDE, I get the "Could not find mime types" error mentioned in the original post:

Could not find mime types:
"inode/directory"
"inode/blockdevice"
"inode/chardevice"
"inode/socket"
"inode/fifo"
"application/x-shellscript"
"application/x-executable"
"application/x-desktop"

When I hit "OK", I get an additional error message:

Could not find mime type "application/octet-stream"

I get this pair of error messages twice on login. One pair is associated with Krunner. The other pair is associated with a shell script that is supposed to run automatically when my session starts up -- after I hit "OK" on the "octet-stream" error, I get a dialog asking for an application with which to open the shell script.

None of the suggestions here are helping. I've also tried "update-mime-database /usr/share/mime ; kbuildsycoca4" as mentioned here and "update-desktop-database" as mentioned here.

The aforementioned update also included libgnome-media-profiles (3.0.0-3 -> 3.0.0-4) and gnome-media (3.4.0-1 -> 3.4.0-2), which both complained about not being able to "autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11", but it appears these error messages are benign.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Last edited by tazmanian (2013-04-12 06:41:23)

#2 2013-04-10 01:14:26

cfr

Re: [solved] kde mime types errors - revisited

Rather than necro-bumping a thread, you should start a new one. Since the solutions here don't work for you - hardly surprising since they are from 2008 - the fact that this is marked as [solved] is unlikely to get you much assistance. (The 2010 post is not even about Arch.)

This is a shame because your post does many other recommended things, even though it violates the forum etiquette in this one particular.

One thing you could try is to move your ~/.kde4 aside temporarily to see if that solves the issue. That way, you'll at least know if it is a config issue in your home or not. KDE updates do not always take kindly to existing configurations.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-04-10 02:02:29

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator:

cfr wrote:

Rather than necro-bumping a thread, you should start a new one. Since the solutions here don't work for you - hardly surprising since they are from 2008 - the fact that this is marked as [solved] is unlikely to get you much assistance. (The 2010 post is not even about Arch.)

This is a shame because your post does many other recommended things, even though it violates the forum etiquette in this one particular.

One thing you could try is to move your ~/.kde4 aside temporarily to see if that solves the issue. That way, you'll at least know if it is a config issue in your home or not. KDE updates do not always take kindly to existing configurations.

Well said, I split it out and started a new thread

Linked from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 30#p465830

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-04-11 03:53:07

tazmanian

Thanks for the reply, cfr, and sorry for disturbing the dead thread.

Moving ~/.kde4 aside doesn't seem to help. For good measure, I've even created a fresh account with an empty home, and KDE still gives me those mime errors. So, I guess this rules out user-configuration issues.

As another data point, after the update to KDE 4.10.2-1, okular has been crashing every time I try to open a PDF, and both okular and ktorrent give the mime errors when starting up.

Last edited by tazmanian (2013-04-11 04:13:26)

#5 2013-04-11 20:39:21

cfr

I would try reinstalling packages which might provide this information e.g. mime-types provides /etc/mime.types which includes application/octet-stream on my system.

There is also the command update-mime-database but I don't think I've ever used it directly so I don't think you should need to do so to solve the KDE issue.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2013-04-12 06:41:05

tazmanian

Thanks for your help, cfr. I've just now stumbled on the answer. Nearly all the files in /usr/share/mime had the wrong permissions set -- 600 instead of 644. Not quite sure how this happened, but I had to fix this across all of my Arch Linux installations.

Board footer