You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-12 23:17:27

testcore

'network' group fails to grant networking permissions to users

Per the wiki page here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Groups#Group_list

adding a user to the 'network' group should grant the "Right to change network settings such as when using NetworkManager."  However, I'm finding this is not at all true at the moment.

I'm actually trying to track down an issue where my VirtualBox adapter (vboxnet0) is not getting an ip address when using VBoxManage.  My VBoxSVC.log fills up with lines like this:

NetIfAdpCtlOut: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while retrieving link status for vboxnet1: VBoxNetAdpCtl: ioctl failed: Operation not supported

The "Operation not supported" line suggests to me that it may be a permissions issue, and my user account is prevented from accessing the vbox interface.  So, I added myself to the 'network' group but to no avail.  Then, just to verify that the 'network' group is having the intended effect of allowing a non-root user to manipulate network interfaces, I did the following:

[7@16:09:17 testcore@tc-slim]:~>groups
network users vboxusers wireshark awstahl rvm
[8@16:09:19 testcore@tc-slim]:~>ip link set wlp2s0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted
code 2

Note that my user account is not permitted to manipulate the interface (wlp2s0 is my wifi), so I know the group membership doesn't really do anything.  Also, it's "not permitted" vs. "not supported" in the case of the vbox adapter.

What's going on here?  Why is membership in 'network' ineffectual?  This is driving me batty.  Also, I do in fact have the correct vbox modules loaded:

[4@16:28:54 root@tc-slim]:~>lsmod | grep vbox
vboxnetadp             18323  0
vboxpci                14581  0
vboxnetflt             16844  0
vboxdrv              1822183  3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci

My versions:

uname -a: Linux tc-slim 3.8.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 6 07:27:01 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
ip -V: ip utility, iproute2-ss130221
VBoxManage: 4.2.12_OSEr84980

Last -Syu was earlier today.

Last edited by testcore (2013-04-12 23:34:46)

Board footer