I ran a major system update with all the Gnome 3.8 stuff. I didn't have any problems with GDM, and some apps seem fine (e.g. pidgin), but evince is completely unusable.
1. Open evince. The window appears, looking as usual.
2. Click on a menu. The menu drops down, but never disappears even after I click away. Entries are not highlighted as I mouse over them.
3. Resize the window, shrinking it and then expanding it again. The portion of the window that was temporarily occluded never re-draws.
4. Try to open a "recent file". The window title changes, but nothing is rendered in the window.
I tried downgrading evince (by itself), and the problem persists, so it must be something else related to the massive update.
- up-to-date system, not running [Testing].
- Running a plain Xmonad session launched from GDM.
- nouveau graphics driver
I'd appreciate any tips to help debug this. I've searched, but didn't find anyone describing a similar issue.
Apparently this affects other applications. I just ran gnome-tweak-tool and got the same behavior.
The issue is not theme-related. I have tried this with both Adwaita and Zukitwo and seen the same results. Some more relevant details:
- If I run Gnome Shell from GDM, evince works fine.
- If I run Gnome Classic from GDM, I get the frowny computer of death (this seems relevant...need to investigate).
- If I run Xmonad from GDM, I get the symptoms as originally described.
- If I run Xmonad from SLiM, evince works fine.
Last edited by goodgrue (2013-04-25 14:56:17)
Thanks for re-opening, Jason. I've updated my original post with a few more details.
I'm having similar issues. The menu bar for gnome-terminal won't render the words File/Edit/View/Search etc. It's just a white box. I can click invoke the "active" state of the dropdown. The background of the dropdown is white though, so the text is not readable, unless I mouse over it. I've tried all kinds of GTK3 themes (including Adwaita) but the behavior is the same.
- At least evince and nautilus show the same errorneus behaviour of not updating its screen after the first display.
- Other gtk apps like gimp work fine
the vast majority of problems were due to my particular theme issues, both gtk3 and the shell.
Try completely delete this directories:
and then reinstall the default theme packs and shell
Last edited by luchoz (2013-05-14 23:37:09)
sorry for my english