You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-06 15:08:52

williewonka

ossxmix not opening

so i installed oss a few days ago and all was fine, it worked right out of the box, i just had to unmute stuff. however today i booted my arch and opened a youtube link. after a few moments i got that error message try again later. i tried opening ossxmix to see what was wrong but i got this errormessage in the console:
"/dev/mixer: No such file or directory"
i have no idea what this means and how to solve it. I already tried reinstalling oss but to no avail. i nstalled nor changed settings or hardware in between the moment oss last worked and this morning. what can i do to fix this?

#2 2013-06-06 17:25:55

klothius

Re: ossxmix not opening

Did you update your oss to oss-4.2_2007-4? If you did, I think you face the same problem as me/the rest of archers with the latest oss package.

Try doing soundon in terminal(if it complains about it failing to start before,  delete the file /usr/lib/oss/starting and try again with soundon. Check if you get the same messages as me in this topic -> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164656

If you do, you can vote up/comment in the bug tracker or watch the bug here -> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35672

#3 2013-06-06 19:25:48

williewonka

klothius wrote:

Did you update your oss to oss-4.2_2007-4? If you did, I think you face the same problem as me/the rest of archers with the latest oss package.

Try doing soundon in terminal(if it complains about it failing to start before,  delete the file /usr/lib/oss/starting and try again with soundon. Check if you get the same messages as me in this topic -> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164656

If you do, you can vote up/comment in the bug tracker or watch the bug here -> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35672

yes i think i updated it, not very sure. but everything is at latest version now. i do have another error message as stated in the op

#4 2013-06-06 19:58:48

klothius

The error you stated in the OP is the error you get when oss is not fully loaded (either driver is missing for your card or some other failure occured), so you may in fact be experiencing the same problem as the others (osscore module not being loaded in our case), you just didn't try manually starting the sound system via soundon command to see what the real problem is.

BTW do

pacman -Qi oss

and check the version number of the oss package that is installed on your system. If it's 4.2_2007-4 then you have the latest one.

If you do have it and the problem is the same as with others (including me), you can temporarily fix it by installing the previous oss package if you have it in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/  and then removing a file named 'starting'  found in /usr/lib/oss/ and then typing soundon in terminal.

Last edited by klothius (2013-06-06 19:59:07)

#5 2013-06-07 06:59:04

williewonka

klothius wrote:

The error you stated in the OP is the error you get when oss is not fully loaded (either driver is missing for your card or some other failure occured), so you may in fact be experiencing the same problem as the others (osscore module not being loaded in our case), you just didn't try manually starting the sound system via soundon command to see what the real problem is.

BTW do

pacman -Qi oss

and check the version number of the oss package that is installed on your system. If it's 4.2_2007-4 then you have the latest one.

If you do have it and the problem is the same as with others (including me), you can temporarily fix it by installing the previous oss package if you have it in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/  and then removing a file named 'starting'  found in /usr/lib/oss/ and then typing soundon in terminal.

ok i indeed have the -4 version and i tried soundon but it gave this:

Relinking OSS kernel modules for ""
This may take few moments - please stand by...
Relinking OSS kernel modules finished
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'osscore': Invalid argument
Loading the osscore module failed

so its probably the same bug. luckily i have the old package so im just going to downgrade oss. lets hope they fix this soon.

Board footer