You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-18 05:30:31

peque

Help with a server - crashed after update -SOLVED

Hi everybody.
at the school where I study,. its the student who´ll take cake of the network, and now we have a really big problem...

After an pacman -Syu, (by an older student) one of the servers crashe. Its the only one that´s been updatet. Its run f.i. Apache , stunnel and up against an LDap server.
The problem is that the only way you can get into it, is in single user mode. At normal boot at the login-menu - we could type in the username and passwd, but the machine is too long to validate the passwd so it times out. thats also when you trying to lock in as root. And we cant start Apache(Even though we selv compiled it, and not did a pacman on that one.)  But I´m not into arch that much yet, so hoefully someone can give me a hint about what went wrong during the updates..
But the worst part about that one is, that everything goes by that one, so we cant get in på using ssh..  But after 7 hours trying and studying the net - we didn´t get anywhere. and we don´t have a clue what to do ...
looking in the logfiles do not show anything unusual....

in normalboot at the login screen, after ca. 40sek. the message comes :
The server died unexpectet... thats it

So please help with this one - if anyone have a clue what went wrong..

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2005-11-19 19:38:31

Michel

Re: Help with a server - crashed after update -SOLVED

Heya,

have you tried using a knoppix-cd or another live-cd to have a look at the system or isn't that a possibility?

You can also login by adding the following kernelparameter: init=/bin/sh
However, I'm not sure how to mount the partitions then.

I'm guessing that the message "server died unexpectedly" is coming from a certain server-process (not the machine). Do you know which process and have you had a look at the logfiles (if there are any) of that process?

You can have a look at the output of the "dmesg"-command maybe if it is kernel-related (I think).

You say it isn't overridden. Are you sure? You can tell pacman to not override packages or certain files, but you have to mention it in the "/etc/pacman.conf"-file.

Hopes this helps you,

greetings,

Michel

#3 2005-11-20 06:14:25

peque

Re: Help with a server - crashed after update -SOLVED

I got the problems fixed now....

the problem was that pacman has deletet some important symlink, and overwritting 1 single file (the nss_ldap.config) so Its hard to make it work when that ones missing....

THX anyway

Just getting better .... All the time

Board footer