You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-30 21:53:05

workaround

locale.conf error? [SOLVED]

I'm new to Arch so this might be a dumb question but I need an actual answer.
I used this wiki to install Arch. In that page it links to locale.

The locale page has a green tip that you can use "locale > /etc/locale.conf" which sets things to "en_US.UTF-8"
but when I login I get
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No such file or directory
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_NUMERIC: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No such file or directory
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No such file or directory
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No such file or directory
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No such file or directory

Is this something that locale messed up or am I missing some files???????
Any help will be nice. I used "pacstrap /mnt base" to install a base system if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited by workaround (2013-07-01 14:42:45)

#2 2013-06-30 22:00:16

karol
Archivist

Re: locale.conf error? [SOLVED]

What's the output of

locale
locale -a
localectl

#3 2013-07-01 00:00:21

WonderWoofy

In the very first line of the Installation Guide it says "See Beginners' Guide for a highly detailed, explanatory installation guide."  If you are new to Arch Linux, the Official Installation Guide is not yet for you.  The Installation Guide is meant to give a broad overview of the steps you need to take to achieve an installation.  It assumes you know about Linux and about what is required in order to have a functional installation.  The Beginner's Guide on the other hand, gives you a great step by step of what you need to do and why. 

If I were you, I would go back and start at the beginning of the Beginners' Guide.  Who knows what other kinds of critical things yu may have missed, and therefore what other kinds of problems you will run into in the near future. 

Also, next time, instaed of saying "I used this guide" with a link, tell what page you used (you may stil include the link if you like).  It sucks to have to follow a zillion links in order to try to determine what someone's problem might be.

#4 2013-07-01 00:48:09

cfr

Welcome to Arch.

Use the Beginners' Guide. Personally, I think it is misnamed and should be called the Non-Experts' Guide but there it is.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2013-07-01 01:03:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

While the beginner's guide is a good idea, I suspect the needed information is in the installation guide too.  Specifically, I suspect you missed the line right before the one that linked you to the locale page:

installation guide wrote:

Uncomment the selected locale in /etc/locale.gen and generate it with locale-gen.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-07-01 13:49:02

workaround

Thanks for all the help. When I looked at the beginners' Guide it looked a bit boring and long(simple instructions of a step by step process). Now that I have taken another look it does have a lot of information on a few of the things that I have not done on another system.

Commands from Karol:
# locale
locale: Cannot set LC_TYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=
# locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_TYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
C
POSIX
# localectl
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: us
      X11 Layout: n/a

From looking at the beginner guide I uncommented
en_US ISO-8859-1 in /etc/locale.gen which might be the problem. If that is the problem I don't know how to fix it. Tried adding the # back are restarting.

#7 2013-07-01 13:51:17

karol
Archivist

Why don't you uncomment the locale you want to use, en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8,  and regenerate locale?

When pasting code, please use [ code ] tags https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

like this

It makes the code more readable and - in case of longer listings - more convenient to scroll through.

#8 2013-07-01 13:57:40

workaround

I did not even see Trilby's note about
locale-gen
how I did I miss that. I used it with commenting out #en_US ISO-8859-1 and it worked after I reboot.

#9 2013-07-01 14:16:56

karol
Archivist

If you've solved your problem, please mark the thread accordingly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

#10 2013-07-01 14:39:54

workaround

Everyone thanks for your help. I have confirmed that what I did works.

Thanks great tip karol for the code.

#11 2013-07-01 21:09:20

cfr

workaround wrote:

Thanks for all the help. When I looked at the beginners' Guide it looked a bit boring and long(simple instructions of a step by step process). Now that I have taken another look it does have a lot of information on a few of the things that I have not done on another system.

I guess if understanding what you are doing and having a working system is "boring"...

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#12 2013-07-02 14:37:47

workaround

I know how to do most of the things that were written in the beginners guide.
I was just pointing out that I find most of the content in the beginners guide is explained in more detail for people that are not familiar with the way Linux installs.

Edited: because the way the sentence was worded might offend some people.

Last edited by workaround (2013-07-04 11:38:11)

#13 2013-07-02 15:32:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

workaround wrote:

I was just pointing out that the beginners guide is a bit too dumbed down for people that know a lot about how Linux works.

workaround, I think I know what you are saying - but I hope you can recognize that how you are saying it is misleading to inappropriate.

Saying it is dumbed down for people who don't know much about linux implies that anyone who prefers those directions is dumb and doesn't know about linux.  That, I think, is wrong.

I've recently started teaching technology + programming seminars, and I use a metaphor about giving driving directions.  Some people prefer streamlined directions with distances and compass directions: go north for 1 mile, then travel east for 3.5 miles.  Other people work on landmarks and benefit from side-commentary that makes a 'story' out of the journey.  Stories are more memorable.

For better or for worse there are gender stereotypes with each of these forms of directions.  I have no idea if there is truth to those claimed gender differences, but I do know that different people benefit from different forms of instruction.

Claiming one form of instruction is for dumb people is not approriate, and really I don't think it was what you meant to imply (I hope not).  In contrast, clarifying what type of directions you find most useful is perfectly valid.  Give me an address or a set of latitude and longitude and I'm set.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-07-02 15:33:56)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer