You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-26 17:21:46

noctlos

wired-to-wifi (&vice versa) and changing wifi location

Oh, how I would love to have automatic network configuration working. Over on the wiki, for automatic switching of profiles, it reccommends the following, which I have done.

# systemctl enable netctl-auto@interface.service 
# systemctl enable netctl-ifplugd@interface.service 

Now, if I check these using

$ systemctl | grep netctl 

, i get this:

netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service  loaded active running   Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles
netctl-ifplugd@enp12s0.service loaded active running   Automatic wired network connection using netctl profiles

Which is great,  I guess. So, usually at home, I turn my computer on, it catches the wifi, and I am golden, that is, about 99% of the time. I don't need to complain about that really at all. But, let's assume that I'm not a bum, and I suspend my computer to take it to work.  When I arrive, I resume my laptop, and run

iwconfig 

to check that I  am connected to a wifi source. After 10 seconds or so, it stops saying

off/any 

and states the name of the router I'm using. Superb! Just to make sure that I have internet now, I run

$ ip r 

to check that. It returns nothing.  I can wash and repeat for minutes, and it will return nothing, but I am connected to the wifi, I suppose. So, my dirty approach is to kill the dhcp daemon and restart it.

# killall dhcpcd
# dhcpcd

which will print out something like this:

dhcpcd[588]: version 6.0.4 starting
dhcpcd[588]: enp12s0: soliciting an IPv6 router
dhcpcd[588]: enp12s0: rebinding lease of 10.2.117.195
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: soliciting an IPv6 router
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: rebinding lease of 10.4.89.19
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: leased 10.4.89.19 for 7200 seconds
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: adding host route to 10.4.89.19 via 127.0.0.1
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: adding route to 10.4.88.0/22
dhcpcd[588]: wlp3s0: adding default route via 10.4.88.1
dhcpcd[588]: forked to background, child pid 736

And then, I'm connected! But wait, I have ifplugd installed, and I have both netctl-auto and netctl-ifplugd enabled to my wifi and ethernet devices. Shouldn't they be automatically handling all this switching and getting up on the internet automatically? That's what they seem to say, but it has not been my experience.
Now, as for the wireless side, I am using broadcom-wl, since my wifi card doesn't have open source drivers for it yet, but that seems to be a moot point, seeing as before I installed that, ifplugd never got an internet connection with ethernet plugged in anyway, neither has the dhcpcd@.service, which doesn't fit my use case in the first place. Personally, I love systemd, I only wish that things on it would actually work on my box...

Does anyone have some advice for this? Or is there more information that I should provide that would be helpful in getting a solution?

#2 2013-08-27 15:41:08

nomorewindows

Re: wired-to-wifi (&vice versa) and changing wifi location

Maybe try dhclient.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2013-08-27 18:32:57

MoonSwan

The point of those two auto-connections is that ifplugd will handle a new network cable being plugged into the device while netctl-auto will connect to any internet hotspot by using an already-existing profile for netctl.  Neither of these, as far as I am aware, handle "true" roaming.  I think the wiki's networking page may cover roaming behaviours but you'll have to check to see if it is covered somewhere in the Arch wiki.

#4 2013-09-19 22:52:03

noctlos

Okay, I haven't seen anything for roaming on the networking wiki's.  Do I need to run dhcpcd for netctl-* to work?

#5 2013-09-20 18:24:19

MoonSwan

well, strangely enough, I do use those two services but according to systemctl my dhcp services are not enabled.

heather ~ :: systemctl list-unit-files |grep dhcp
dhcpcd.service                          disabled
dhcpcd@.service                         disabled

I do seem to vaguely recall a post on this forum about not needing dhcpd's service while using the netctl-ifplugd/auto services.  The closest thing to roaming on the wiki that I found was bonding two NICs together to get an automatic failover setup.  I've never tried to setup roaming either so I honestly don't know how systemd handles this.

If you find anything do post again please.  I'd like to set up a roaming laptop for my own needs.

Board footer