You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-04 20:00:09

zyxuvius

Wireless card wlp2s0 mode DORMANT

Hello all,

I have been using Linux for about five years     now I recommend it to all my friends and have set it up on all my family's computers. I am spending a year as a student missionary teacher and so I decided to pack light and bring an ACER Aspire One with be for computing purposes.

I was intrigued with the setup and all seemed well, until I was confronted with my long-time Nemesis: Configuring wireless in Linux

I have never had any luck with Linux wireless networking. From ndiswrapper in Ubuntu Hardy to wicd in Slackware, I just have had no luck. My only consolation has been the System76 with a Debian based operating system, but other than that, nothing but hours and hours spent in forums and trying commands without end in the terminal.

So the issue that brings me to you today:

IP link outputs that the card is up, muticasting, and all the other things that the ethernet card is doing. It is just that the mode is DORMANT where ethernet is DEFAULT.

I was working through different tutorials I found online for esettig up networking and at around 2:30 I punched in ip config and something that I had done had changed the mode to DEFAULT.

After that, the very next tutorial I tried ended up in a successful connection (that ping made it all worthwhile)

I scrolled back up through the history and wrote down the commands that I thought were responsible for the success, but after restarting the computer, I was not able to duplicate the results.

Any suggestions?

#2 2013-09-04 20:20:35

clfarron4
Website

Re: Wireless card wlp2s0 mode DORMANT

A link to the tutorial would be nice, so that we can assess whether it is any good or not.

As for the rest, what network card are you using?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2013-09-05 03:44:08

zyxuvius

Sorry, I was on the road while I sent the first message and had to do everything through Samsung Galaxy S3

Here is the output of a recent ip link

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp1s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state D
OWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
    link/ether 70:5a:b6:dc:ef:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 
    link/ether f0:7b:cb:90:00:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

And just like before, once mode was on DEFAULT, everything worked perfectly. After opening up my netbook and seeing this, I simply typed in

# ip link set wlp2s0 up
# wifi-menu
# dchpcd wlp2s0
# iw wlp2s0 link

And the last link told me I was connected and all was well.

I am in fact using that connection right now to post this.

Now, last time I had this sort of success, restarting the machine loaded the card back into DORMANT mode.

The only change that I can figure is that I was sitting on a train for the past hour writing out LaTeX in vi, and then cooly shut the lid until I finally arrived at my university. Had no problems logging into unencrypted guest connection, and I am too lazy to get the WPA LEAP connection running tonight.

Here is the output of lspci -k you were looking for

# lspci -k

02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e016
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
	Kernel modules: ath9k

And the most useful tutorials that I found in getting it to work were on the wiki.archlinux.org site. I tried doing code from across the wiki, and can't say that there was much reason to my madness at the wee hours of the morning I was struggling with it.

I'm going to make this post and see where my little network card stands tomorrow morning. I think I may have tried disabling the ethernet port either by netctl or systemctl, but not too sure on what did what at this point. Nothing irreversible. Just some enable and stops that can easily be reversed.

Thanks for your interest and help. You people are truly my heroes for helping overcome the worst nightmare I have had with Linux since I started.

#4 2013-09-05 15:31:10

zyxuvius

Hmm... Seems to be logging in just fine.

any suggestions on how to change mode from DORMANT to DEFAULT in future?

#5 2017-03-24 18:57:01

SalmonMan

I was struggling with this for a while and had success using ip link to set the wireless interface mode to default. I tried a bunch of different things to get it back into default mode beforehand and didn't see and clear indication of that use on the ip man page so I'm not really sure this is the correct way of doing things. I'm curious to know if this works for anyone else.

Here's the command structure:
#ip link set your-interface-name mode default

In my case my interface name is assigned as 'wlp3s0' so the command becomes:

ip link set wlp3s0 mode default

#6 2017-03-24 21:40:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Thanks for sharing. Please note however, that this topic is four years old. The original poster is unlikely to still be seeking a solution. I am going to go ahead and close this old topic now.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer