You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-17 13:09:41

sml

Basic Networking between 2 Notebooks

I would like to transfer files from an Mac iBook to my linux notebook. Both are plugged into a router with RJ45s cables.

I have set-up all of the file sharing access on the Mac.

I tried using Konqueror to access the 'Local Network', Network Services', and 'Samba Shares'.

Which of these should I be using?

When I try to open the 'Local Network' the message says 'The lisa daemon  does not appear to be running.' When I try to open the 'Network Services', the zeroconf daemon is not running. When I try to open the Samba share, there are no workgroups in the local area.

#2 2005-12-22 23:47:47

thomas23

Re: Basic Networking between 2 Notebooks

It is probably not exactly what you want but it works well. Before I knew how samba works, I used proftpd to transfer files between my windows boxes and linux ones. Linux was the host, of course... It is really easy to do, juste pacman -S proftpd , the default config works fine. Then, on your iBook, take any ftp client you like, the host is the ip of your Linux laptop and username/password are the ones of your current Linux user. Then you can upload or download files from your Linux laptop. It is maybe not a samba share and not as convinient, but it ALWAYS works  wink

#3 2005-12-23 01:48:37

sml

Re: Basic Networking between 2 Notebooks

Thanks for that. I ended up using ftp and it worked very easily.

Board footer