You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-05 18:46:40

apakatt

[solved] SSH not working outside LAN

Edit: So it turns out that there was no problem with the software. The things is that I live in an appartment where three internet connections are included (three ethernet ports which all has its own public ip address) and it turns out that I indeed can connect to my machine from another house, but not using the public IP in one room to another room. Don't know why but I will check with my ISP.

I have a newly installed machine with the latest Arch which I have configured to be an access point using the create_ap script (which uses hostapd among other things: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1269258 ) and it works great.

Now, I wan't to connect to this machine via SSH but it only works when I'm connected to the created access point on the same machine. If I try to access the machine over the internet, it is not responding at all. I am using the public Ip ofcourse.

I have not configured any firewall on the machine and the ethernet cable is connected directly to "the internet" so no router or hardware firewall between.

For the sake of testing, I started the SSH daemon on another machine connected to the access point but that one is unreachable from the internet as well (I don'ẗ know which one should take precedence here...).

I have IP tables installed but for what I know, it is not used (I don't really know how this works).

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I don't really know where to start looking. Any hints?

Last edited by apakatt (2013-11-05 19:43:20)

Board footer