You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-22 05:12:26

staufk

kernel 2.6.13.4 + slmodem-2.9.10 + snd-intel8x0m = weirdness

I compiled 2.6.13.4 myself, so I had to compile slmodemd from source, too.  This combination has worked before (4 months ago, the last time I had to use POTS instead of ethernet =P), but now I get strange behavior which prevents it from dialing my ISP.

I have an IBM T40 laptop with an ac97 modem.  It dials out just fine in XP (so the modem, line, wall jack, etc. all work).  I would provide lspci output, but I can't get online from arch.  I know for a fact it uses the snd-intel8x0m module, though.

The problem is that the modem does not detect any signal on the line, it complains that there is no dial tone.  Now here comes the good part: when I put it into blind call mode (ATX3S6=0), slmodemd makes output that looks promising (it echoes the command, takes the modem off the hook, etc.), but, when I listen from another phone on the line, the modem sends no tones!  I have never seen anything like this before.  Everything is unmuted and at max volume in alsamixer.  When I unmute something called "external headphone jack," though, the speaker port dies until I mute the channel again, so perhaps there is some magic combination of mutes that will let the modem make those dulcet tones we all know and love.

Off the top of my head, ppp_generic, ppp_async, snd-intel8x0m, snd-intel8x0, and all relevant snd modules are loaded, as is something with a name like slhc.  I test the dialing with "echo >/dev/ttySL0 ATDT4154076"  and "slmodemd -a hw:1 -d 1".  Dialing in the USA.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Board footer