You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-22 12:11:47

M6

Freezing Arch on USB wifi

Hi,
I've got SMC2862w-G (45Mb) USB wifi dongle working using ndiswrapper.

My normal web browsing is quite good but If I down load or FTP a file >100Mb Arch frezes and I have to disconnect mains to reset the pc. (No mouse, Alt+tab etc...)

Are there any buffres etc I can change to improve data transfer rates? or is this a fault?

System woks perfectly with 100Mb lan connection.

Thanks
Ben

Arch a Day Keeps Wfie Away

#2 2005-12-28 23:15:53

bostoniman
Website

Re: Freezing Arch on USB wifi

What is the INF file you are using?  I have a Linksys WUSB54G USB adapter, and I am experiencing a similar problem.  It appears to load fine during boot, but if I download either a large file, or have a high rate of transfer, the system freezes.  Also, if i simply leave my system idle after boot, the system will lock up after about 15 minutes.  This has started happening only after the upgrade to the initrd-based kernel.  So, I was wondering which INF file you use to see if it was the same one, or similar one, to the one I use.

#3 2005-12-28 23:26:30

M6

bostoniman wrote:

What is the INF file you are using?  I have a Linksys WUSB54G USB adapter, and I am experiencing a similar problem.  It appears to load fine during boot, but if I download either a large file, or have a high rate of transfer, the system freezes.  Also, if i simply leave my system idle after boot, the system will lock up after about 15 minutes.  This has started happening only after the upgrade to the initrd-based kernel.  So, I was wondering which INF file you use to see if it was the same one, or similar one, to the one I use.

I downloaded Winxp drivers from SMC website. (The drivers included in the product CD did not work)

It seems to be I've got the same problem. I have this problem even on 2.6.13 Arch Kernel. No initrd

I saw another post about ndiswrapper hanging problem.  It seems to be ndiswrapper people don't want to know you unless you are a UNIX guru.

I don't know what to do here.

Ben

#4 2005-12-28 23:35:34

bostoniman
Website

I looked up my card on the ndiswrapper Wiki's list of cards known to work.  I found out that, in my case, there are multiple options for configuring ndiswrapper for my card, in other words there are a few choices for functional INF files.  You may want to look that up for your card, and see if that's a possibility for you.

#5 2005-12-29 06:35:13

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I have had a similar problem with ndiswrapper, that causes the computer to lock up under higher network loads. My only advice is to try a different driver, or wait for a new version, they're released frequently and often fix bugs in the last.

#6 2005-12-29 07:24:16

M6

iphitus wrote:

I have had a similar problem with ndiswrapper, that causes the computer to lock up under higher network loads. My only advice is to try a different driver, or wait for a new version, they're released frequently and often fix bugs in the last.

I don't know how get these log files ndiswrapper guys are asking. If i know I wouldn't put up with this. Wlan is my only connection.(carputer)

On the ohert hand if ndiswrapper guys don't know about this fault how are they going to fix it.
I don't know what to do.

Ben

Board footer