You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-06 19:16:17

skylla

Kingston encrypted usb memory (DTVP)

Hi,

I've been supplied with a Kingston data vault privacy usb device (with hardware encryption), the device is to be unlocked with a supplied binary that only gives "Can not detect DTVP device !!" when ran. At first the only info I could find was this and this.

But with more research, help from the Kingston support, and the strace tool it seems that the device needs to show up under a /dev/sgX device (X needs to be 0-7), and after a

modprobe sg 

the device starts to work. Rather simple when you realize it.

So, the wiki on usb storage devices leads me to believe this module is suppose to be loaded automatically with the stock kernel, have I misunderstood? I am relatively new to arch linux, but if the module is not suppose to be loaded I guess I a note about this on the wiki would be useful for others?

Thanks.

#2 2013-12-06 19:29:45

alphaniner

Re: Kingston encrypted usb memory (DTVP)

An in-house testing tool at my work requires sg. It used to be loaded automatically but this is no longer the case. I don't know the history, but I seem to recall at least one dev knew about it and indicated it wasn't an accident or such.

Kudos on the finding the solution, though.

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-12-06 19:30:00)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2013-12-06 20:00:46

skylla

Thanks for the reply, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optical_Disc_Drive also suggests the module is not loaded by default since some update some time ago...

Next problem turns out to be that I normally have more than 8 devices that is mapped under /dev/sgX, and the dtvp program only looks for the first 8, annoying to need replugging of harddrives to use the usb memory, guess I'll have to look for a solution to that also.

Anyway, thanks again, and hopefully this will help if anyone else has the same problem.

#4 2013-12-06 20:07:01

alphaniner

Maybe it's possible to prevent sg from creating /dev/sgX nodes for certain devices?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2013-12-06 20:53:51

skylla

That would have been great, tried to find info in that, but no success yet.

It's getting late, have to continue some other time, I'll just keep my unused cd/dvd drive unplugged for now.

#6 2013-12-07 15:00:52

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Beware that the sg module is still automatically loaded if you have cdrtools installed.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer