You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-15 21:46:42

mdshann

[solved] Can't connect to samba shares

This is probably my fault, but for the life of me I can't figure this out. I started out trying to get usershares to work by following the wiki at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/samba, and I am unable to connect to the resulting shares either from the local host or from my netbook. It tells me permission denied. I then tried creating a public share with guest access, because I couldn't get the usershares to work. I am unable to get that working either. I have

chmod 777 -R

the folder I am sharing, as well as the

/var/lib/samba/usershare

folder. Please help. Here is my smb.conf:

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
   workgroup = OSHANNON
   server string = MDSHANNJARO
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   map to guest = Bad User
   guest account = nobody
   dns proxy = no 
   usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershare
   usershare max shares = 100
   usershare allow guests = Yes
   usershare owner only = False

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[Bleach]
path = /mnt/Data/Bleach
read only = no
guest ok = yes

I tried adding the nobody user since there was no users listed when running

pdbedit -L

using

pdbedit -a -u nobody

and just pressed enter for the password field. This did not help.

testparm says

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Bleach]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
	workgroup = OSHANNON
	server string = MDSHANNJARO
	map to guest = Bad User
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	usershare owner only = No
	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.

[Bleach]
	path = /mnt/Data/Bleach
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

Last edited by mdshann (2014-03-04 06:01:04)

#2 2014-02-18 05:13:46

mdshann

Re: [solved] Can't connect to samba shares

Is it too early for a bump? Bump!

#3 2014-02-18 05:25:44

ewaller
Administrator

mdshann wrote:

Is it too early for a bump? Bump!

It is always too early. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … te#Bumping

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-03-02 03:22:19

mdshann

uninstalled samba, reinstalled it. deleted old config file. created new config with just the contents that the wiki states is necessary for usershares to work. the current smb.conf looks like

[global]
  usershare allow guests = yes
  usershare owner only = False

added my user to samba using

pdbedit -a -u mdshann

started smbd and nmbd and enabled both. tried to share a folder, caja says samba is not installed. use yaourt to search for caja and find package mate-file-manager-share. installed said package, killed and restarted caja. shared folder and told it to add permissions automatically. checked the boxes to allow guest and to allow users to change files. still I cannot connect. just for reference, I have used the wiki article sections from the beginning of the article through adding a user. I did not use the creating a share section as I want usershares to work through MATE and CAJA. It creates the share and it is visible on the network, I just can't connect to it.

Pretty much the same as what I tired before, with the same result. Only difference is I haven't tried manually creating the share through smb.conf, but that didn't work before either. No reason to think it will work now, the problem was the same whether I used the gui usershares option or adding the share to smb.conf.

I was able to get samba working with a very similar config file as in my first post, on arch based manjaro on my server at work. I did not enable or use usershares at work, but creating the shares in smb.conf worked just fine. Why will the same procedure not work on arch? Same packages for the most part, manjaro just adds a few. In fact, when I set up samba on manjaro, I used the arch wiki article, as Manjaro's wiki is sparse. Main reason we used manjaro at work was the speed of installation was much quicker, and we needed the machine back up quickly so we could start backing up our customers data. (I own a PC repair shop.)

On a side note, this community has served me well in the past the few times I have have issues since I started using arch 5 years ago. Why my post has gone so long without a reply other than being chastised for trying to call attention to a 3 day old unanswered thread is beyond me, but I am not thrilled by it. It has now been a full 2 weeks since my original post. I have never had this issue before, and if I can't bump or somehow call attention to my thread I am unsure of how to get help. Am I supposed to keep posting new threads on the same issue? I would think those would get closed rather quickly if I had. Should I post nonsense on this thread, I mean anything other than the word bump. A discussion of cat videos maybe?

#5 2014-03-04 06:01:44

mdshann

Installed manjaro. Used instructions from archlinux wiki as stated above. Shares worked. Marked as solved.

Board footer