You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-09 19:54:08

Komodo

irc through webserver

I wish to connect to irc, but cannot on my current network due to port blocking. I have a website which does not allow SSH access, and I wish to find a way to connect to irc through this, VIA MY TERMINAL (ie. I DON"T want to use a web-based client). Have any of you done the same, or do you have any idea how to do so?

I was looking into various webservers offering shells for free, but they're all pretty crap tbh... plus I'd rather have the ability to use my own hosting than rely on someone else's.

I *think* the best option might be to use an IRC bouncer, but I've only found a single one so far, that's script-based...

Any suggestions?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-01-09 20:40:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: irc through webserver

If you had ssh access to your webserver, then it would work just fine..just stunnel your irc connection to your webserver...but..since you don't have shell access...

/me scratches head

Most all solutions I can think of require some type of shell access first.. be it ssh, or a telnet/shell account that you can run an instance of netcat on...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-01-09 21:06:24

lucke

I'd simply suggest you to actually buy yourself a shell account somewhere - they really aren't that expensive and well, you (at least ought to) get a stable service. Then you could set up IRC Bouncer (plenty of that software out there, but you have to have a shell account to run 'em) there or simply use screen.

You could also use your contacts and ask someone to give you a shell on his server/add you to his bouncer ;-)

I'm not sure about this, but maybe you'd be able to proxy your connection using proxies stated e.g. here.   

What maniac blocks access to IRC anyway?

#4 2006-01-09 23:07:57

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I would, on any corporate network that I had to manage.
/me oils his devil horns

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-01-10 00:32:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

Are you allowed install anything on the webserver? In a similar situation I used httptunnel to get ssh connections through a firewall, but I had to install the app on each side of the tunnel.

#6 2006-01-10 00:42:35

Komodo

I AM allowed to install apps tomk; how easy was httptunnel to set up? I'd also quite like to access othere websites via applications on my own site; would this be possible with the software that you mention?

Komodo

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#7 2006-01-10 13:19:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Or just use a web based CGI:IRC. It makes the irc connection on the server side, works anywhere you have web access. Google it, theres heaps of them you can use.

#8 2006-01-10 19:06:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

AFAIR, httptunnel was a doddle to set up - it's been a while. I'm not sure about accessing other websites through it - probably best to give it a try, although without shell access, there will be a bit of running up and down to the server while you config it.

Board footer