You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-16 03:01:04

mac57
Website

Recommendation for Non KDE Firewall GUI?

I have recently installed Arch 0.7.1, and am consciously taking a "light and  fast" approach to everything, seeking to build on Arch's already excellent performance. So, I have gone with XFCE instead of KDE or Gnome, XMMS instead of something like Kaffeine or juKbox, Nedit instead of Gedit or Kedit, and so on.

Now that I have Arch up and running, I realize that I have no interface to control the firewall. Normally, I would think of Guarddog or some such, but I believe that Guarddog is a KDE component, and I am trying to stay away from anything that requires substantial KDE libraries, resources etc.

My understanding (and I admit that it is limited) is that iptables is the "firewall" for all linux releases, and all of the programs we talk about (Guarddog, SuSE's YaST Firewall, etc.) are just GUI front ends to configure iptables. I am posting this article to ask if there are any good but lightweight GUIs available to control iptables.

Perhaps I have this wrong though, and some of the above programs are incremental firewalls that work in addition to iptables? In this case, are their any lightweight firewalls that could be recommended.

Arch is the first release I have used that didn't just come with something for this built right in. I understand why Arch is like this, and actually appreciate it - that's why I am running Arch now! However, since I have never had to deal with this before, I am unsure where to start. I checked the Wiki, but there doesn't seem to be anything there (at least under "Security" or "Firewall").

Any and all recommendations, advise, insights, etc. most appreciated!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-01-16 03:12:55

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Recommendation for Non KDE Firewall GUI?

firestarter maybe?
dunno. I usually write my netfilter rules by hand, then use iptables to activate them, via a script.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-01-16 06:48:30

PJ

mac57 wrote:

I checked the Wiki, but there doesn't seem to be anything there (at least under "Security" or "Firewall").

Maybe this will help, wouldn't know about it if I hadn't been looking for something else which I did find. I did search for "config" in the wiki.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewalls

#4 2006-01-16 10:41:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Firestarter pulls in libgnomeui and a bunch of other stuff - 17.7MB on my xfce4 system. Maybe have a look at quicktables - it's not in the repos, it's just a Q&A script, to help with netfilter configs.

#5 2006-01-16 20:56:37

mac57
Website

PJ, thanks for the Wiki pointer. I'm surprised I couldn't find it, but it is very useful. Thanks a lot.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#6 2007-09-02 08:05:24

ravisghosh
Website

But the quest for a gui frontend of iptables is still there. I tried firehol but it was hurting my brain and as said above, guarddog and kmyfirewall are kde components. Moreover, kmyfirewall is not compatible with arch structure (to the extent I can make out).

Board footer