You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-15 05:13:08

FenrirAB

[SOLVED][GNOME] Network Notification Icon Tray on Top Panel

hello ArchCommunity,

first thing's first... I'm new to Arch (the cliche')
it was a miracle i made it (really, thanks to the well documented installation guide)

anyways a little back story. It took me 4 times to FINALLY install ArchLinux due to: (1) im an idiot; (2) wlan_0 BS (aka I'm an idiot) (3)didnt install xorg for GNOME 3 (aka im an idiot)

anyways here we go... i manage to install GNOME 3, make sudo using visudo, and enable && start netctl-auto@wlan_0 via systemctl....

the wired network is good,
the wireless network is good,
everything's good...

... exept one thing, the Network Notification Icon Tray on Top Panel is not showing up...

i did a few things to maybe work it out
i used the GNOME NETWORK CONNECTION (GUI) and tried Adding a new Connection... but it seems i cannot edit the textfield (unclickable, untypeable textfields)

i tried going to Setting >> Network... but a new optionpane states that "The system network services are not compatible with this version"... i tried Adding Network Connection but im not familiar with the 4 choices it brought up... VPN, Bond, Bridge, VLAN

i can see that my network is working because when i go to Network Tool (GUI) i can see all the stats and connection... plus im writing on a forum...

anyways.. long story short:

i just want the Network Notification Icon Tray on my top panel...
any help will be greatly appreciated

THANKS IN ADVANCE! ^_^

Last edited by FenrirAB (2014-04-16 19:58:12)

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air,
She sang: my bear so fair and off they went,
The bear, the bear and the maiden fair

#2 2014-04-15 05:26:45

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED][GNOME] Network Notification Icon Tray on Top Panel

Welcome to Arch Linux.   How are you managing your network?  It looks like you are using netctl.  It is a nice way to do it, and it is the one I use.   Gnome, however, uses NetworkManager and its GUI tools are a front end for that solution.  That is why Gnome is indicating that the controls are disabled -- there is no backend to which to talk.

So, you can use tools designed to work with netctl (wifi-menu or [experimental]netgui)
Or, you can install NetworkManager.  Disable netctl. Enable NetworkManager.
Or (what I do) use conky to give me the status and just let netctl do its magic.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-04-15 05:30:28)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-04-15 05:47:18

FenrirAB

wow. thanks for the quick reply... this NetworkManager seem to caught my eye... anyway you walk me through the process... conky looks great.. however, im not really planning on populating my desktop... so the Notification is exactly what im looking for... i try pacman -S NetworkManager and it said that its not found im wonder on how to approach this... if it type systemctl disable netctl-auto@wlp18s0 does it require to reboot the system in order to enable networkmanager.. also, how do i get about this network manager.. doesnt seem like its in the official repo no? or am i looking at it wrong?

THANKS IN ADVANCE ^_^

#4 2014-04-15 06:01:17

ewaller
Administrator

You will want to readstudy the output of man pacman
Using it in search mode shows:

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1001 %pacman -Ss NetworkManager
extra/libnm-qt 0.9.8.1-1
    Qt-only wrapper for NetworkManager DBus API
extra/network-manager-applet 0.9.8.8-1 [installed]
    GNOME frontends to NetWorkmanager
extra/networkmanager 0.9.8.8-3 [installed]
    Network Management daemon
extra/networkmanager-openconnect 0.9.8.6-1
    NetworkManager VPN integration for openconnect
extra/networkmanager-openvpn 0.9.8.4-1
    NetworkManager VPN plugin for OpenVPN
extra/networkmanager-pptp 0.9.8.4-2
    NetworkManager VPN plugin for pptp
extra/networkmanager-vpnc 0.9.8.6-1
    NetworkManager VPN plugin for vpnc
community/networkmanager-dispatcher-ntpd 1.0-6
    Dispatcher Script for ntpd
community/networkmanager-dispatcher-openntpd 1.0-5
    Dispatcher Script for openntpd
community/networkmanager-dispatcher-sshd 1.0-4
    Dispatcher Script for sshd
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1002 %

The important line there is :
extra/networkmanager 0.9.8.8-3 [installed]
It shows the name in all lower case.  Pacman is case sensitive.
If you use the disable function only, use you have to reboot.  You can (in addition to disable) use  systemctl stop netctl-auto and not require a reboot.

Be advised, asking to be walked through a process will draw a rapid rebuke around these parts.  We insist that people read the manuals and the wikis first;  Then we are more than happy to help with any questions or problems.  Yes, it can be like trying to drink out of a fire hose; that is the way we are smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2014-04-15 06:47:23

FenrirAB

ok... i know im pretty close i am looking at this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … se_install and i know it has something to do with this... like the note says i should stop the netctl... but if i did i would have no internet connection... now i know its so that theres not conflict in between.. ok. so how do i start networkmanager... i tried systemctl enable networkmanager but its says not found....

THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT WITH ME

#6 2014-04-15 06:54:22

FenrirAB

service i have so far

[table]
[fenrirab@thegrid ~]$ systemctl --type=service
  UNIT                        LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
  accounts-daemon.service     loaded active running Accounts Service
  colord.service              loaded active running Manage, Install and Generate
  dbus.service                loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
● dhcpcd@enp19s0.service      loaded failed failed  dhcpcd on enp19s0
  gdm.service                 loaded active running GNOME Display Manager
  kmod-static-nodes.service   loaded active exited  Create list of required stat
  netctl-auto@wlp18s0.service loaded active running Automatic wireless network c
  ntpd.service                loaded active running Network Time Service
  polkit.service              loaded active running Authorization Manager
  rtkit-daemon.service        loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Polic
  systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service loaded active exited  Load/Sav
  systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service loaded active exited  Load
  systemd-fsck@dev-sda5.service loaded active exited  File System Check on /dev/
  systemd-fsck@dev-sda8.service loaded active exited  File System Check on /dev/
  systemd-fsck@dev-sda9.service loaded active exited  File System Check on /dev/
  systemd-hostnamed.service   loaded active running Hostname Service
  systemd-journald.service    loaded active running Journal Service
  systemd-localed.service     loaded active running Locale Service
  systemd-logind.service      loaded active running Login Service
  systemd-random-seed.service loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed
  systemd-remount-fs.service  loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File
  systemd-rfkill@rfkill0.service loaded active exited  Load/Save RF Kill Switch
[/table]

#7 2014-04-15 15:43:14

ewaller
Administrator

The service is called NetworkManager.service.  The package is called networkmanager.   Both Pacman and Sytemctl are case sensitive

---

#8 2014-04-15 18:24:13

FenrirAB

looks like i fixed it....

it seems along the many things i wrote in the terminal... i happened to have created a netctl profile that contains my netctl@interface\SSID.service and it was conflicting with the NetworkManager...

when i disable AND stop the netctl@wlp18s0... it seem as though the profile is still there... when i looked at systemctl | grep netctl

i tried disabling and stopping the netctl@interface\SSID but it doesnt seem to go away when i check the list

i didnt the TechSupport 101 (aka turning the laptop off and turning it back off) and viola... the NetworkManager.service was able to turn on...

THANKS ewaller

Board footer