You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-17 20:24:45

justinsmithies

Server setup questions

I currently have a Compaq server running at home with 3 raid drives ( Mirrored )
It is running Trustix but i want to change it to ArchLinux.
Here are my questions :

1. Can i remove 1 drive to keep as a backup of my current working system incase i mess up then place it back in on powerup on its own then replace the other two drives. Will that then copy the Trustix back onto the other 2 ?

2. Will Clamav scan the emails in postfix ? As i currently use Antivir which have ceased giving out free lisences.

3. What would be the best way to partition my servers hard drive ?

If the above is right then i'll start my ArchLinux server install straight away....

#2 2006-01-18 00:25:47

FUBAR
Website

Re: Server setup questions

justinsmithies wrote:

I currently have a Compaq server running at home with 3 raid drives ( Mirrored )
It is running Trustix but i want to change it to ArchLinux.
Here are my questions :

1. Can i remove 1 drive to keep as a backup of my current working system incase i mess up then place it back in on powerup on its own then replace the other two drives. Will that then copy the Trustix back onto the other 2 ?

Hm, that depends on your RAID-array's features I guess. I suppose  it's probably easier to copy your Trustix / (cp -a) to a spare disk. I've changed around my / a few times and it never posed a problem. As long as you use the -a switch, the file and directory permissions are kept.
I don't exactly know what disk you'd best use for the backup as the information about your hardware is too limited.

justinsmithies wrote:

2. Will Clamav scan the emails in postfix ? As i currently use Antivir which have ceased giving out free lisences.

I googled for "clamav postfix" and I got 445 000 hits. I guess it'll work.
Using MailScanner/Postfix/SpamAssassin/ClamAV in Gentoo Linux, it should work for any distro according to the intro.

justinsmithies wrote:

3. What would be the best way to partition my servers hard drive ?

Maybe you should consider LVM. It allows you to resize your partitions without dataloss: you add a number of partitions to an LVM volume group. Then you create logical volumes in it and assign a starting size. You can easily add new partitions (disks) to the volume group afterwards. And your logical volumes can change size too. But, if you choose JFS as a FS then the size can only increase. The other FS allow resizing to a smaller size aswell.
The only requirement is a seperate /boot (30 MB) on a non LVM- or software RAID partition for the kernel, as Grub / LILO won't boot otherwise.

justinsmithies wrote:

If the above is right then i'll start my ArchLinux server install straight away....

I'd give it a try.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer