You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-18 13:54:15

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Clearer Kernel

I'm not having much fun getting kernels up & running all this initrd initramfs is not good for me karma

Wiki has loads of pages but none make any sense (maybe I should update 'em!)

Is it time for Arch to restructure Kernel builds, as I feel that rolling your own at cli looks more easy to do atm

Ok kernel.install is turning into a small novel...

Now I remember why I stopped compiling my own kernel, unless you rebuild every day you do not have a hope of keeping up to date

Nothing wrong with running stock just would like to have all the toys ..

Never tried suspend or gensplash are they worth the effort

Forgive the rant just that me archck kernel broke then I read the post again now I'm feeling dumb lol

Well I just like breaking stuff I guess .... never had a stable system that would be waaay uncool

Maybe I'm getting bored & need a new challenge...

[/end_rant]

Mr Green

#2 2006-01-18 21:12:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Clearer Kernel

Mr Green wrote:

I'm not having much fun getting kernels up & running all this initrd initramfs is not good for me karma

One step at a time, man - that's what I'm doing. wink

Mr Green wrote:

Is it time for Arch to restructure Kernel builds, as I feel that rolling your own at cli looks more easy to do atm

I can't imagine anything being easier than using dibble's PKGBUILD - except maybe falling off a log......

Mr Green wrote:

Ok kernel.install is turning into a small novel...

I've deleted all that stuff - although I can see it being useful for others.

Mr Green wrote:

Now I remember why I stopped compiling my own kernel, unless you rebuild every day you do not have a hope of keeping up to date

Every day? You're kidding, right? I rebuild every time iphitus puts something out - no less, no more (well, sometimes more, if I f**k it up roll ).

Mr Green wrote:

Never tried suspend or gensplash are they worth the effort

Love them both - you should have a go.

Mr Green wrote:

Forgive the rant just that me archck kernel broke then I read the post again now I'm feeling dumb lol

Mr Green?! Dumb?! Never.......

Mr Green wrote:

Well I just like breaking stuff I guess .... never had a stable system that would be waaay uncool

Yeah - that worries me sometimes though. I think I'm happiest when I have something to fix....!

#3 2006-01-18 22:03:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk wrote:

Yeah - that worries me sometimes though. I think I'm happiest when I have something to fix....!

I've put off important things, like school and obligations, to fix the dumbest things with my distro - like font antialiasing, or building a package out of required software for my school even though I can just ssh into their servers and use it from there. tongue

#4 2006-01-19 18:34:11

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@tomk could not agree more ;-)

I was messing up Wiki pkgbuild with mkinitrd stuff ....

Every Day I meant ever hour lol

Would it be wrong to break up pkgbuild into scripts ?

Anyway I'll keep an eye on archck thread

Mr Green

#5 2006-01-19 20:07:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

Mr Green wrote:

I was messing up Wiki pkgbuild with mkinitrd stuff ....

I've got it going now - archck with initramfs. big_smile All the init stuff happens in the .install script, and I've stuck in this useful tip from phydeaux.

Mr Green wrote:

Every Day I meant ever hour lol

Funny thing - I've had those kind of days building other stuff, but never with the kernel - no idea why. :?

Mr Green wrote:

Would it be wrong to break up pkgbuild into scripts ?

If it works for you, it's not wrong, but I can't picture it - what did you have in mind?

#6 2006-01-20 12:59:09

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

It just something I was thinking of taking out some of the install stuff from build & then turning into a script

errr more to the point ... pkgname patches source deps... then calling I don't know make_kernel install_kernel set-up_mkinitstuff

try at least to make kernel pkgbuilds more readable & easier to edit

Having said all that I feel you do still need the flexibility that say wiki custom pkgbuild has...

now I do not want anyone to take my views as negative I'm trying to get an idea of anything that would make something great even better

ABS is a very powerful tool & database for pkgbuilds... one of the best features of Arch ;-)

No I'm just pi$$ed that I could not get archck working but thats my fault no one elses....

I will not give up!!!

Mr Green

#7 2006-01-20 13:25:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

no.. archck was probably more my fault for the botched release. Try the new one, add it to lilo/grub, add the default initramfs line mentioned in the install message, and it should operate fine.

#8 2006-01-20 13:59:00

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

No its ok I updated & things are better now posted to archck thread regards kernel...

Chill Dude!!! lol

Mr Green

Board footer