You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-01 04:44:25

rabcor
Banned

Pacstrap fails

I managed to break my system by replacing nouveau with nvidia recently and saw no better way to fix it than a fresh install. (I know, Windows mentality, but at least it never fails right? right?)

I ran "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel"like I usually do

and got

warning: skipping target: file
warning: skipping target: findutils
warning: skipping target: gawk
warning: skipping target: gettext
warning: skipping target: grep
warning: skipping target: gzip
warning: skipping target: libutil-linux
warning: skipping target: pacman
warning: skipping target: sed
warning: skipping target: texinfo
warning: skipping target: util-linux
warning: skipping target: which

But paid no heed and just allowed pacstrap to keep running since it did list these packages as targets and also seemed to be downloading them.

It got ti checking package integrity (133/133) and then

error: dhcpcd: key "B02854ED753E0F1F" is unknown
error: key "B02854ED753E0F1F" could not be looked up remotely
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root

What do I do?

Edit: Solved it by

pacman-key --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu -r <key_id>

(key id in this case: B02854ED753E0F1F)

But just to be sure, are the warnings I posted at the start of this post something for me to worry about? or are they safe to ignore?

Edit 2: Not quite solved, next time i tried to use pacman to install opencl-nvidia i got

downloading required keys...
error: key "..." could not be looked up remotely
error: required key missing from keyring
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Edit 3: I think this solved it

Last edited by rabcor (2014-05-01 06:27:34)

#2 2014-05-01 18:22:15

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacstrap fails

if its solved, mark your thread solved as well.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2014-05-03 07:46:24

rat5

Hi,

For me the same problem was during the installation of Arch Linux x64, the problem was solved by temporary turning off the verification of "key signature".

In file pacman.conf was changed this line:

SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional

to this

SigLevel    = Never

But this problem was solved only during the installation and it back after installation, and here the problem was solved permanently by install missing package:

pacman -S archlinux-keyring

Thanks to the Adlerweb blog

#4 2014-05-05 03:11:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Temporarily disabling the verification of the key signature is a bad idea. It makes your system vulnerable to any packages that are installed. If there are malicious packages on the mirror that you are using, you might be exposed to backdoors etc.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2014-05-05 19:18:02

rat5

Yes, this is bad and dangerus,

but as it was mentioned before, it was made during the installation and it impact only in "livecd" and as I said before after installation the problem back - > that mean the pacman.conf  from the system was in orginal form and as I said before the pernamently solution for this problem is install this package

archlinux-keyring

#6 2014-05-05 20:16:16

alphaniner

Those packages you downloaded in the live environment were installed to your system. Thus, it's not the live environment that would have been affected.

Even installing unverified packages in the live environment could potentially cause issues beyond the live environment.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#7 2014-05-06 06:02:21

rat5

Yes, but under livecd, the user usually install only basic system from trust Arch repository.

l can not understand why so afraid of this ? If You want only go through by installation process,

#8 2014-05-06 12:36:20

ayekat

rat5 wrote:

Yes, but under livecd, the user usually install only basic system from trust Arch repository.

I think you are misunderstanding: there is no such thing as a "Trust Arch repository". You are downloading from a mirror that contains the packages (all of them: core, extra, community), so if the mirror maintainer starts tinkering around with the packages (and thus puts your system at risk because you download those packages), the only way to verify they haven't been modified is through their signature.

rat5 wrote:

[... only basic system ...] l can not understand why so afraid of this ?

I consider that even worse, since basic system utilities are often used by many other packages, so if there is some bug/backdoor in them, it may affect larger parts of your system.

rat5 wrote:

If You want only go through by installation process,

... and your system is already potentially compromised before you even boot it for the first time.

Last edited by ayekat (2014-05-06 12:37:40)

pkgshackscfgblag

#9 2014-05-07 01:19:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ayekat wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding: there is no such thing as a "Trust Arch repository". You are downloading from a mirror that contains the packages (all of them: core, extra, community)

QFT.

rat5, Please read up and understand the package signing and how it works so you can be better protected. smile

Forum Rules

#10 2014-05-11 00:50:07

c26zwj

I've been struggling with this too.

# pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel

gives me

warning: skipping target: file
warning: skipping target: findutils
warning: skipping target: gawk
warning: skipping target: gettext
warning: skipping target: grep
warning: skipping target: gzip
warning: skipping target: libutil-linux
warning: skipping target: pacman
warning: skipping target: sed
warning: skipping target: texinfo
warning: skipping target: util-linux
warning: skipping target: which

like above.

I've tried before pacstrap

# pacman-key --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu -r B02854ED753E0F1F

like stated above.
and

# pacman -S archlinux-keyring

like stated above.
and

# pacman-key --init 
curl https://www.archlinux.org/{developers,trustedusers}/ | awk -F\" '(/pgp.mit.edu/) {sub(/.*search=0x/,"");print $1}' | xargs pacman-key --recv-keys

importing all keys after putting
keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu:11371 in /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf
and

ntpd -qg

and all of them together before pacstrap but same result..
Installing from netboot iso.  Tried different mirrors.
Any suggestions?

#11 2014-05-11 09:01:15

henk

Pacstrap skipping those files is not an error. Those files exist in both groups, so there is no need for a double download.

#12 2014-09-14 07:40:12

preginald

henk wrote:

Pacstrap skipping those files is not an error. Those files exist in both groups, so there is no need for a double download.

Thanks!

#13 2014-11-04 08:08:05

71GA

rat5 wrote:

Yes, this is bad and dangerus,

but as it was mentioned before, it was made during the installation and it impact only in "livecd" and as I said before after installation the problem back - > that mean the pacman.conf  from the system was in orginal form and as I said before the pernamently solution for this problem is install this package

archlinux-keyring

The big problem here is that Archlinux Live CD is a READ ONLY system and it is impossible to edit "/etc/pacman.conf" - So the real question here is: "How to import keys during an installation through Live CD where CD can't be altered.".

Every time this happens (and it does happen a lot) I can only get to a point where I had to mount partitions with a file system already set up. Then at the point where I should use command pacstrap and install Arch Linux to a new root I get into a dead end. There is no solution here. I can't install packages to a new root and because of this I can't use arch-chroot to move into new root and edit pacman.conf for the new root... DEAD END.

What I tried was to install only package base, but even this package requires keys which are not supported. THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS AND A BIG PROBLEM FOR ARCH LINUX FOR SO LONG NOW. Sometimes it works to only restart a PC and repeat installation and for some strange bizzare reason it will work and import keys...

Last edited by 71GA (2014-11-04 08:11:29)

C, ARM, ARM assembly, HTML, CSS, JS, Linux

#14 2014-11-04 12:03:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Closing.

While this is only marginally a "Necrobump", it does dive into several other violations of the forum etiquette, including personal rants, and Bikeshedding/Trolling ("Something is ridiculously wrong with archlinux").  The sky is not falling, you just don't know what you are doing.  If you want help, start a thread asking for help - if you want to cast disparraging blame (especially if it's in all caps and bold) get a blog.

Also, you're just factually completely incorrect: you can edit files in the live iso in multiple ways.  Most simply, you can open them in an editor: done.  The files are not read only at runtime as the iso is a form of squashfs that is expanded into memory.  The files in memory can be and often are edited.  This will not persist to the next boot up of the iso though.  For that use archiso or a persistent USB install.  Each of these are well covered in the wiki.

But, for the bigger picture, if you are so convinced that arch has such "RIDICULOUS and BIG PROBLEMS" for so long, and that installing is a "DEAD END", then feel free to go elsewhere.   Please.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer