You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-05 23:29:03

Twenynge

Fresh install - HTML5 Videos Won't Play in Konqueror or Rekonq

New to Arch.  HTML5 videos, specifically youtube videos using the HTML5 player, won't play in Rekonq and Konqueror.  So far I've installed:

base
base-devel
nvidia (plus dependencies, e.g. X)
kde-meta-kdebase
     -VLC backend
     -kdeframework5 (I think that is what the option was called)
rekonq
k3b (probably not relevant)

...and that's it.  I've searched but my google-fu is uncharacteristically weak today.  No video playback out of the box is sooooo 2001 and I'd hate to have to change distros to something that just works like Gentoo (I'm laughing hysterically right now), so  please tell me I'm an idiot and have missed something completely obvious required to enable video playback.  And no, I haven't been drinking...

#2 2014-07-06 00:01:07

karol
Archivist

Re: Fresh install - HTML5 Videos Won't Play in Konqueror or Rekonq

In Arch you don't get much out of the box - no X, no nothing :-)

What do you mean by 'won't play'? Any errors in the logs? When you start them from the console, is there anything interesting printed in the console?
Do htm5 videos on some other sites work?

#3 2014-07-06 00:42:54

The Infinity
Website

If installed properly Konqueror should play HTML 5 videos.
Maybe you have to set the HTML 5 player as preferred player on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/html5
Are you getting any error messages?

I think that is what the option was called

To display all installed packages simply use pacman -Q.

#4 2014-07-06 03:05:04

Twenynge

Just finished writing an extremely detailed response to all questions, clicked submit, but internet gremlins secretly logged me out during the time I was composing the reply thereby causing the post to evaporate into thin air.  Here is the condensed (lazy) version:

- "kdeframework5" (or whatever it's called) wasn't the name of a package, rather it was the name of a package group (I think) that contained a package required to meet the dependencies of kde-meta-kdebase.  There was another package group option that I did not select, the name of which I do not recall.  I also do not recall the name of the package needed to meet the dependency requirement, nor do I know how to find this information.  I can spend some time trying to figure it out if you feel it is relevant to the topic at hand.

- Youtube was configured to use the html5 player instead of the flash player prior to me posting on this board.

- "Does not play" means the youtube video abruptly stops loading and the player displays "snow" or static where the video should be.  A error stating "An error occured.  Please try again later."  is provided but gives no information as to what has caused the error nor how to fix it (it actually suggests I try again in 30 minutes or use a different browser).

- I don't know where to begin searching for logs apropros to a web video error.  I didn't find anything in relevant in the logs located in /var/log nor in ~.  The only thing I found was the following:

[root@arch jeff]# cat .xsession-errors | grep html

konqueror(743)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
konqueror(743)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
konqueror(743)/khtml (jscript console) KJS::printMessage: [ ERROR ]      Invalid rpc message origin. https://plus.google.com vs https://www.youtube.com

Note this is for konqueror only and not rekonq.  Substituting "rekonq" for "html" in the code above provided no results.

- Serious question:  What are some of the ways one would go about installing Konqueror "improperly"? 

- I'm more concerned about rekonq, as that is the browser I intend on using more often.

- This issue extends beyond youtube; no html5 video player is functional and no videos can be played regardless of the source.

- How would one go about starting a youtube video from the console?

Last edited by Twenynge (2014-07-06 03:26:22)

#5 2014-07-06 08:21:10

arojas
Developer

Do you have all gstreamer0.10 plugins installed?

#6 2014-07-06 10:50:11

weirddan455

Try Firefox or Chrome(ium.). Those should work out of the box with YouTube.

EDIT:  Just tested and my Konqueror doesn't work on HTML5 YouTube either.  If you go to www.youtube.com/html5 it doesn't show Media Source Extentions as supported which may be why it doesn't work.  Chrome has everything marked as supported.

Last edited by weirddan455 (2014-07-06 11:48:46)

#7 2014-07-06 14:39:57

The Infinity
Website

I can reproduce your problem.
I don't use rekonq since I don't use KDE currently, but I simply setup one of my Qt applications using QtWebKit (which is also used by rekonq) to show a Youtube video. The flash based standard player and the HTML5 player do not work in the way you're describing the problem.
It seems to be a QtWebKit related problem.
I would simply use another webbrowser for Youtube and other sites with HTML5 video embedded. VLC is also able to play Youtube videos.

#8 2014-07-06 14:59:16

weirddan455

Mine doesn't fail in the way he describes it.  I took a screenshot but it looks like Konqueror simply doesn't support enough of the HTML5 standard.  It certainly hasn't undergone as much development as Firefox and Chrome in any case.

>>moderator edit: Removed large image. Please read Forum Etiquette: Pasting Pictures and Code and screenshot posting rules. Thanks. --fsckd<<

EDIT:  Sorry I'll just post it as a link then instead of embedding it:

Konqueror YouTube

EDIT 2:  Also looks like Konqueror fails the Acid 3 test (a test to see how rigidly a browser conforms to HTML standards... used to be every browser failed till Firefox + Chrome fixed their browsers)

http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Konqueror Results

Chrome Results

EDIT 3:  Just for shits and giggles I rebooted into Windows and let IE have a go.  This one surprised me... IE 11 passed!  Sad day when your browser supports less of the HTML standard than IE.  It look like Konqueror is based on the KHTML rendering engine (from which WebKit was forked) but many of the improvements to WebKit never made it back to KHTML.  IMO it may be about to for Konqueror to switch its rendering engine to WebKit.

IE 11 Results

Last edited by weirddan455 (2014-07-06 16:11:42)

#9 2014-07-06 15:52:05

Twenynge

Just installed firefox and videos work fine.  It's really odd that the KDE browsers don't have this capability.  I'll ask around on the KDE forums and see if anybody has any suggestions.  If I find something I'll post it here.

#10 2014-07-06 16:28:41

progandy

weirddan455 wrote:

It look like Konqueror is based on the KHTML rendering engine (from which WebKit was forked) but many of the improvements to WebKit never made it back to KHTML.  IMO it may be about to for Konqueror to switch its rendering engine to WebKit.

There is the kwebkitpart package which should allow to use Konqueror with webkit.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#11 2014-07-06 18:49:41

weirddan455

progandy wrote:
weirddan455 wrote:

It look like Konqueror is based on the KHTML rendering engine (from which WebKit was forked) but many of the improvements to WebKit never made it back to KHTML.  IMO it may be about to for Konqueror to switch its rendering engine to WebKit.

There is the kwebkitpart package which should allow to use Konqueror with webkit.

Interesting.  That definietly shows an improvement but still won't do YouTube correctly.  It now correctly renders the page and shows static instead of a black box spilling out of its borders.  Also Acid 3 shows 100/100 but is incorrectly rendered because it shows "YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS AT ALL" in the top left.

WebKit Youtube

WebKit Acid3

Board footer