You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-08 19:35:18

Dal

Is there an Arch Linux equivalent of debconf?

I have a debian based configuration that I roll out to clients using a scripted installation.  Essentially, the base system is imaged onto the box (currently RaspberryPi) then my script and an archive containing extra files I want to push is copied to the card.  The script runs and performs some automated tasks like downloading firmware, updating/upgrading packages and then installing the packages I need.  For some packages (e.g. mysql and phpmyadmin), I use debconf in order to set the answers to the installation questions  - this allows a completely unattended installation.  This script also works on a regular Debian system - I can pass parameters to switch off functionality that isn't required on a desktop (e.g. the RPi firmware update or HostAPD installation) and the same script can commission a dev environment for me to work on.

I'm now looking to support other SBCs like the HummingBoard or perhaps the BananaPi which means I need to consider a platform that would work universally across any platform.  So, I am looking at the feasibility of Arch Linux.  From what I have read, it would probably suit my needs a lot better as it starts off as a very minimal installation.  However I'm struggling to find a definitive alternative to debconf for performing my unattended installation.

My less preferred option would be to build an image by hand and then script the package updates, but this would put me in the realms of having to maintain images for each platform I end up supporting rather than having a script that would build the config on any supported system with latest packages.

#2 2014-08-08 20:51:19

karol
Archivist

Re: Is there an Arch Linux equivalent of debconf?

Do you want a scripted installation or unsupervised system updates?

Arch Linux doesn't work on ARM architecture: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431

#3 2014-08-08 20:54:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Use a minimum Debian install and your current workflow. Arch doesn't like being unattended.

And, as karol points out, you wouldn't be installing Arch, but a separate distro, Arch ARM.

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2014-08-08 20:57:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I haven't done much with debian, so I have no idea what debconf does, but from what you've described, that simply doesn't apply in arch.  Pacman doesn't ask the user any questions to configure anything.  Occasionally it will ask for removing conflicting packages or some such - but if it is a new system (i.e. starting from a known state) and you are selecting which packages to install, then you should be able to ensure there are not such conflicts - and there would be no need for input.  Though I did have the same thoughts as JWR: unattended installations tend to lead to problems in arch.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-08-08 21:41:24

Slithery
Administrator

In Arch all of the configuration that is done by debconf in a Debian system is done manually anyway.

Take mysql as an example. In Debian you're prompted for a mysql root password when you install. With Arch mysql is installed without a root password, it's up to the user to configure this manually after installation.

As Trilby pointed out packages in Arch don't ever prompt for input (although pacman will prompt if there is a package conflict).

Last edited by Slithery (2014-08-09 08:53:39)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2014-08-08 22:24:09

Dal

Ok - thanks for the help. Interesting to know there is no interaction when installing packages through pacman. Will have a play and a ponder before I decide which way to jump.

#7 2014-08-09 22:57:17

karol
Archivist

There is interaction:
* you may be be prompted to OK removing package A and installing package B - happens when renaming packages via package conflicts e.g.

:: lzo2 and lzo are in conflict. Remove lzo? [y/N]

* you are asked to pick packages from a group or which one of the packages providing the thing you want to install, e.g. when installing libgl or phonon

$ sudo pacman -S phonon
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for phonon-qt4-backend:
:: Repository extra
   1) phonon-qt4-gstreamer  2) phonon-qt4-vlc

Enter a number (default=1):

Board footer