You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-10 13:47:37

ramantalkin

Legacy USB boot automatically got disabled on HP Chromebook 14

Here are the steps which I did.

1. Enabled developer mode by pressing 'ESC + Reload + Soft Power' button.
2. Enabled Legacy boot and USB boot.
3. Installed Arch using live USB boot on SSD by completely wiping partitions and partition table on the drive. I just created a Ms-Dos partition table and a swap and root partition on it.

4. I did not changed the bootloder firmware (to prevent warranty issues) as specified in wiki to install different bootloder by opening up case and removing hardware screw to disable write protect onto the bootloder system memory.

Now the system wasn't working so I created a recovery USB as specified here to get back to chrome and re-initiate the process.
https://support.google.com/chromebook/a … 0595?hl=en

But some how legacy boot and USB boot automatically got disabled.

How? Would that happen again? Yes, I did googled.

#2 2014-08-10 21:43:10

scot14

Re: Legacy USB boot automatically got disabled on HP Chromebook 14

Here's is a quote from that page:

Before you reinstall Chrome OS
Important: Reinstalling the operating system restores your Chromebook to the way it was when it was brand new. Unfortunately, this means all of your data will be erased.

I did this on another Chromebook, and it seems like the disk was erased and it was no longer in developer mode. In order for the developer mode to be permanent, the case needs to be opened as you said.

Last edited by scot14 (2014-08-10 22:17:30)

#3 2014-08-11 19:51:13

ramantalkin

Nope!! When I recovered to chrome os, the developer mode was still on. Recovering utility does not switch it back to normal mode. As far as 'flashing the bios' goes, it would be even more difficult to recover back, when flashed with a custom bootloder (as google's provided tool might not work). Moreover, if I would know what exactly made that legacy and USB boot disabled,
Was that a number of unsuccessful booting attempts or something like that google put in that open source bios firmware, would do the job.

#4 2014-08-11 22:21:10

scot14

At the white screen that first appears when powering on the laptop, you can press the space bar to disable developer mode. So, if you unknowingly did that at some point, then developer mode would be disabled.

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1416607 for more info.

Board footer