You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-25 22:16:05

Pentadrago

setting the domainname

Hi,
I've got NIS running in my network and got the problem that I didn't know how to set the domainname on AL
I solved it by creating a file "/etc/defaultdomain" and adding the following lines to the start section of "/etc/rc.d/ypbind"

if [ -r /etc/defaultdomain ]
    then
      if [ "`domainname`" != "`cat /etc/defaultdomain`" ]   
      then
        domainname -F /etc/defaultdomain
      fi
    fi

What did I do wrong to have to edit one of the rc-files?
Shouldn't it be AL-style to have a "/etc/conf.d/ypbind.conf" containing the domainname?

I also ran into the problem that I don't see the possibility to give parameters to the dhcp-command of a network-interface. I solved this by configuring my dhcp-server correctly (thanx for this, didn't know that there are nis-options that relieve you of editing the yp.conf-file)

Before we could talk we were singing,
before we could run we were dancing.
"On Earth" by Samael

#2 2003-11-26 09:40:47

andy

Re: setting the domainname

Pentadrago wrote:

What did I do wrong to have to edit one of the rc-files?

I don't know if you did something wrong, cause I have not setup NIS under AL yet ;-) .... BUT : double check if you really had no choice but editing the rc-files and if your observation is correct then ....

Pentadrago wrote:

Shouldn't it be AL-style to have a "/etc/conf.d/ypbind.conf" containing the domainname?

... file a bug report because, yes, you are right. This should indeed be the case ! :-). Hey, this is still version 0.5 or 0.6 and AL hasn't reached 1.0 yet :-)

hmmm, and I just noticed that /bin/domainname is in the package net-tools which is not in any dependency list.

Pentadrago wrote:

I also ran into the problem that I don't see the possibility to give parameters to the dhcp-command of a network-interface. I solved this by configuring my dhcp-server correctly (thanx for this, didn't know that there are nis-options that relieve you of editing the yp.conf-file)

Not sure if I understood you correctly here. But if you think you found a problem with an AL configuration, it may again be worth a bug report. However, I remember some dhcp configuration discussion some months ago. So check the archives.

Board footer