You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-11 23:28:24

AcousticBruce

[SOLVED] No luck with VirtualBox network.

EDIT**********

I have a working Arch Linux VM made with VirtualBox. The network works out of the box but once you reboot and remove live media and load into Arch Linux I cannot get a ping.

I have looked through the Arch Linux VirtualBox wiki and I am either confused or feel I have tried what it asked.

Here is what I did.

For the purpose of this post, I made a new VM and successfully followed the beginner guide again and installed Arch Linux and it starts up no problem without the live iso.

first thing I did was

ping -c 3 www.google.com

unknown host...

so i did

ddhcpcd 

and this resulted...

dhcpcd[196]: version 6.7.1 starting
dhcpcd[196]: enp0s3: adding address fe80::ced8:2d68:7409:4427
dhcpcd[196]: no interfaces have a carrier
dhcpcd[196]: forked to background, child pid 208

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … VirtualBox

I have no idea where to learn about this in the exhaustive guide that mostly has nothing to do with what I am using VirtualBox for.

******************************************************************************************************

[SOLVED] Josh Braun’s Blog // A Guide to Installing Arch in VirtualBox
http://wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3851

Solved using this code. I did not see anything about this in the Wiki.. so check out Josh Brauns Blog.

# systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service 

Old Horrible Question... DO NOT READ smile
I can dual boot Arch from my bios and get wifi access easily.

When I use VirtualBox, it has no problem until I actually log on to Arch Linux without the live iso.

I have did searches and i am just LOST on the VirtualBox Arch wiki.

Edit: I have tried dhcpcd and it was not successful. I will post the exact output later.

I am hoping someone can direct me to get this working.

I have a windows 7 Dell laptop and VirtualBox loads into Arch Linux without the iso as a drive. Just looking for guidance and search terms. Thank you./

Last edited by AcousticBruce (2015-03-12 00:20:43)

#2 2015-03-11 23:50:16

nullified

Re: [SOLVED] No luck with VirtualBox network.

It's very difficult to help when almost no information is provided. The wiki page for VirtualBox is very well documented...exactly what are you getting stuck on? What have you done so far?

Edit: please read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855
Your post is terribly confusing.

Last edited by nullified (2015-03-11 23:53:48)

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#3 2015-03-12 00:12:03

AcousticBruce

I rewrote a lot of the post. Please review. Thank you.

#4 2015-03-12 00:48:44

nullified

Everything you needed to know is in the wiki, all you had to do was look. Sometimes you have to follow a link or two... What you should not do is direct people to a three year old guide.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd#Running
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … sing_units

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#5 2015-03-12 02:28:12

AcousticBruce

Nullified - and the rest of the community. I want to apologize for my lack of attention to detail here and leaving an old guide. I understand why this Arch Linux is NOT for beginners and that is what I am. A complete beginner with a week of tinkering with Linux. I knew absolutely nothing and this installation and reading forums has helped me learn Linux I believe pretty fast. I also have a book called The linux command line that I am going through also.

Sometimes, reading the wiki is VERY confusing and it just keeps talking about stuff I have no idea about yet. So this is where the annoyance can come in pretty quick with newbs. I do not want to be a burden on this community. I am just excited to learn and I like jumping in feet first.

To be honest, I just do not understand half of the lingo. The two links you posted I already scanned over, but even looking back now, I just have no Idea what it is talking about.

Thank you for the help.

#6 2015-03-12 02:57:08

nullified

That's understandable, I know well myself how intimidating it can be at the very beginning.

I will explain a bit. Those guides are just asking for trouble for two reasons: (1) they are outdated and Arch moves quick. And (2) it will prevent you from learning how to administer your system. You copied and pasted that command but did you know what you were doing? Probably not. I guarantee you will run into that same problem again if you don't know how systemd and services, etc. work in general. The first link to dhcpcd was the section about running the service. Notice it links to the systemd page that explains in general how to start, stop, enable, and disable services. This is the kind of research you will need to do on your own if you hope to get to the point where you don't have to ask questions about every single step. It's okay to ask questions, but when it comes to something as straightforward as enabling a service, people will usually just point you to the links.

If you're only a week into Linux in general and you've successfully installed Arch in a VM, then that's a good sign. The lingo will come in time but you definitely need to do a bit of studying. You should read through the wiki in depth. That is, the beginner's guide isn't just for installing Arch for the first time. It includes tons of links to all the moving parts of your system. The general recommendations page is also a must read.

With effort and patience you'll pick up what you now don't understand at all smile

EDIT: note also that the exact step that you found on this other guide is listed in the beginner's guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … Dynamic_IP

I suspect you got drawn into the VirtualBox wiki page without slowly and carefully going through the beginner's guide as well.

Last edited by nullified (2015-03-12 03:00:59)

Board footer