You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-21 03:13:01

CatholicMathGuy

Random freezes possibly caused by kworker cpu usage spikes

Every so often for the past day or so, my computer freezes for no discernably good reason.  All the software on my computer is completely up to date, unless there have been updates in the past three hours or so.  I have Linux kernel 3.19.2, although I had the same problem with 3.18.  The freezes seem to coincide with spikes in the cpu usage of kworker.  I have seen similar problems with kworker posted in several places across the Internet, including these forums, but all the information is outdated by a few years.  A side effect of whatever is causing the issue is that the wlp2s0 is sometimes not recognized by anything on the computer, though it is usually recognized again after a reboot.  I have been doing nothing particularly resource intensive, running only Firefox with xfce as the desktop environment.  It may be useful to note that I use btrfs and seem to have been having occasional seemingly-random trouble booting the system as it tries to load the file system.  This last issue has only been occuring for the past hour.  It would be very much appreciated if anyone had any knowledge of how to fix this, as neither I, nor a more computer-savy friend of mine have been able to repair it as of yet, in spite of much Internet searching.

Last edited by CatholicMathGuy (2015-03-21 03:16:24)

#2 2015-05-14 22:43:14

amphibianqueen

Re: Random freezes possibly caused by kworker cpu usage spikes

I want to second this concern.

Several similar threads have already been opened in this forum, but none of the proposed solutions help me. Even though it seems a widely acknowledged kernel problem, the kernel forum apparently wont deal with it (see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=157307).

I've been now waiting through a fair few kernel updates (this problem started manifesting itself last autumn and I maintain an updated kernel). It seems to be mostly scripts running in various browser/email reader applications that cause the problem to arise, and abstaining from running several browsers or not running, say, Chromium and Thunderbird at the same time, alleviates the problem. However, it's annoying.

Board footer