You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-08 21:07:31

MGu3l

Feeling like a N00b again!!

Hi everyone, I used to be an Arch User several years ago [5-6]years, last time I installed it there was even a kind-of graphical installer!] but then I switched to OS X due to my career, and after some months watching my MB struggle to work with OSX 10.10 I decided to go back to Arch.

It was REALLY hard to install it with this new [to me] method, but fimally I did it... now the problem is a lot of things changed in Arch while I was gone, a lot of files I used to load daemons, configurations and all that kind of stuff are gone or moved and I'm kind of lost.

So my point is... maybe anyone knows where can I read about this changes made to Arch? I feel like starting again from scratch but I don't mind, right know I'm trying to solve some Mac-and-Linux related problems but I wish to update myself and learn about all the changes that were made in the system.

Thanks!

Last edited by MGu3l (2015-04-08 21:07:59)

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean

#2 2015-04-08 21:23:13

clfarron4
Website

Re: Feeling like a N00b again!!

Hit the news feed if you want to know everything.

The big ones you need to be aware of are the change to systemd and...

Basically, if you're after setting up X, Display Managers etc, hit the wiki pages and you should be able to work out how systemd works.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2015-04-09 00:59:00

nstgc

There was once a graphical installer?

#4 2015-04-09 01:42:44

Scimmia
Fellow

nstgc wrote:

Yep. It was abandoned mid-2012, IIRC

#5 2015-04-09 03:41:33

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

nstgc wrote:

ncurses-based... Not full graphical like Anaconda, or whatever it is Debian/Ubuntu uses.

#6 2015-04-09 21:28:33

clfarron4
Website

fukawi2 wrote:

ncurses-based... Not full graphical like Anaconda, or whatever it is Debian/Ubuntu uses.

Anaconda is Fedora, Ubiquity is the Debian/Ubuntu one.

Original Topic: I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find everything you need from the Beginner's Guide and the linked pages on it.

Claire is fine.

#7 2015-04-09 22:47:19

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

clfarron4 wrote:

Anaconda is Fedora, Ubiquity is the Debian/Ubuntu one.

Yes, Fedora, RHEL, CentOS et al.... Ubiquity was the name I couldn't remember smile

#8 2015-04-09 23:29:16

MGu3l

clfarron4 wrote:
fukawi2 wrote:

Original Topic: I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find everything you need from the Beginner's Guide and the linked pages on it.

Thank you so much for those link you provided, I'm gettinn a lot of info from them!

*Offtopic: There used to be a ncurse intaller and it was awesome, at least for me. I don't know if you are aware of it, but there's a graphical installer for Arch called Evo/lution, in theory it won't install anything else besides the original arch packages.

#9 2015-04-10 21:23:13

clfarron4
Website

MGu3l wrote:

I don't know if you are aware of it, but there's a graphical installer for Arch called Evo/lution, in theory it won't install anything else besides the original arch packages.

It's been discussed on the BBS, and if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't taken to that well.

Last edited by clfarron4 (2015-04-10 21:23:44)

Claire is fine.

#10 2015-04-10 21:25:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Indeed: it is not supported here.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2015-04-10 21:33:59

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Just guessing, but it might have something to do with the fact that it started as fu-rch. Not a great way to develop community support.

On-topic, many people prefer the "new" non-graphical install method -- it teaches people how to work with their systems from the beginning. And I can install an Arch system much more quickly with the new method than I could with the old.

#12 2015-04-11 04:02:09

ANOKNUSA

clfarron4 wrote:
MGu3l wrote:

I don't know if you are aware of it, but there's a graphical installer for Arch called Evo/lution, in theory it won't install anything else besides the original arch packages.

It's been discussed on the BBS, and if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't taken to that well.

It's one of several projects that claim to install "pure Arch." The problem is, the only "pure Arch" is the environment you get when you boot into the official live CD/USB. Installing Arch inherently involves making choices; anything that takes that away, deprives you of the chance to really try and use Arch. It also sets you up for some very unfriendly exchanges here, on the mailing lists or in IRC when you run into a mundane problem and can't begin to explain it, because our default assumption here is human error.

Were I you (OP), I'd just start fresh and pretend you'd never used Arch in the past. Changes to the filesystem hierarchy and the move to systemd have resulted in some serious change in the last few years; it'd be easier for you to learn what hasn't changed than for all of us to try and tell you what has.

#13 2015-04-11 05:23:40

ezzetabi

nstgc wrote:

Yes, and it was really cool. The main operations were there in order in a tidy and logical way...

Alas nobody was interested to maintain it anymore..

#14 2015-04-11 07:49:59

MGu3l

ANOKNUSA wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:
MGu3l wrote:

It's one of several projects that claim to install "pure Arch." The problem is, the only "pure Arch" is the environment you get when you boot into the official live CD/USB. Installing Arch inherently involves making choices; anything that takes that away, deprives you of the chance to really try and use Arch. It also sets you up for some very unfriendly exchanges here, on the mailing lists or in IRC when you run into a mundane problem and can't begin to explain it, because our default assumption here is human error.

Were I you (OP), I'd just start fresh and pretend you'd never used Arch in the past. Changes to the filesystem hierarchy and the move to systemd have resulted in some serious change in the last few years; it'd be easier for you to learn what hasn't changed than for all of us to try and tell you what has.

After I started reading about systemd I realized a lot of changes were made... and I agree with you, I think is better if I start from scratch pretending this is my first time using Arch, 'cause [almost] nothing is the way it used to be, so it'll only lead to confussion for me.

And also I have to agree with ezzetaby, the graphical installer was great, it was not as easy as a click next, click next installer but still was clean, simple and really helpful.

#15 2015-04-11 10:47:39

ezzetabi

ANOKNUSA wrote:

[...]It's one of several projects that claim to install "pure Arch." The problem is, the only "pure Arch" is the environment you get when you boot into the official live CD/USB. Installing Arch inherently involves making choices; anything that takes that away, deprives you of the chance to really try and use Arch.[...]

I did not try this Evo/Lution, but in the original installer I never had this feeling. It was a simple menu that appeared as a gentle remainder of the necessary installation steps. It was not forcing you in any way. I recall I seldom used the console to do some unusual steps.

#16 2015-04-12 01:26:51

nstgc

ANOKNUSA wrote:

...the only "pure Arch" is the environment you get when you boot into the official live CD/USB.

You can also install it from another installation that can run pacstrap and the like. Two of my three Arch installation were installed that way.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

Board footer