You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-17 08:41:04

orjanp

What to do with .pacnew/.pacsave files?

When I upgrade my system with pacman, there is created .pacnew files. I know why, but I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

One example.
/etc/fstab

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>            <dir>            <type>        <options>                    <dump>    <pass>
none                    /dev/pts        devpts        defaults                        0        0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs        defaults                        0        0
tmpfs                    /tmp            tmpfs        defaults                        0        0
usbfs                    /proc/bus/usb    usbfs        defaults                        0        0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0        /mnt/cdrom        iso9660        ro,user,noauto,unhide           0        0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0        /mnt/dvd        udf            ro,user,noauto,unhide           0        0
/dev/floppy/0            /mnt/floppy        vfat        user,noauto                     0        0

/dev/sda1                /mnt/usbdisc    vfat        user,noauto,uid=1000,gid=100    0        0

/dev/hda11                swap            swap        defaults                        0        0
/dev/hda8                /                ext3        defaults                        0        1
/dev/hda6                /boot            ext3        defaults                        0        1
/dev/hda7                /home            ext3        defaults                        0        1
/dev/hda9                /usr            ext3        defaults                        0        1
/dev/hda10                /usr/local        ext3        defaults                        0        1
/dev/hda3                /mnt/fat32        vfat        defaults,uid=1000,gid=100        1        0

/etc/fstab.pacnew

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

/dev/cdrom             /mnt/cd   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd               /mnt/dvd  udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/fd0               /mnt/fl   vfat      user,noauto             0      0

Information from /dev/sda1 and down should stay put. But what about the seven first lines? Do I replace them with the five lines from the .pacnew file?

The old /etc/shadows file have an entry for named, dbus, hal, mysql and avahi that the .pacnew file doesn't have. The same difference exist in the /etc/passwd file and the group file.

This is the difference in /etc/ld.so.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf

#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#

/usr/X11R6/lib

# End of file
/opt/qt/lib
/opt/kde/lib
/opt/e17/lib
/opt/gnome/lib

/etc/ld.so.conf.pacnew

#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#

/usr/X11R6/lib

# End of file

Do I just change it?

And what about .pacsave files? Can I just delete them if I know that they don't contain any information that I need?

Have tested dotpac script, but I didn't like it much. I use gvim -o file1 file2.

Orjanp

Ørjan Pettersen

#2 2006-03-17 09:34:25

_Gandalf_

Re: What to do with .pacnew/.pacsave files?

Yes change them, that's why pacman does give .pacnew output... look at fstab, the second template is the right one...

#3 2006-03-17 10:23:34

kozaki
Website

I  just tried Wain's paccdiffviewer & liked very much how i can compare every .pacsave, "actual" & .pacnew with my Editor of choice smile

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#4 2006-03-17 13:33:09

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

.pacnew are usually stock config files moved into place by a pacman -S package and .pacsave are your config files that are saved after a removal (pacman -R package).

If you are familiar with vim, vimdiff /etc/config /etc/config.pacnew is a great way to compare and make adjustments.

#5 2006-03-17 13:43:45

orjanp

Yes I know. But it isn't always easy to know what to change.

Ørjan Pettersen

#6 2006-03-18 15:57:52

jakob

there is also a nice bashscript which lets you compare *.pac*-files with the originas: dotpac

It's English, btw smile

#7 2006-03-20 15:50:33

hehejo_
Website

_Gandalf_ wrote:

Yes change them, that's why pacman does give .pacnew output... look at fstab, the second template is the right one...

I bother now, too.
Cause when I change them, what happens to /tmp

tmpfs               /tmp         tmpfs      defaults                  0      0
usbfs               /proc/bus/usb   usbfs      defaults                  0      0 

#8 2006-03-20 15:57:47

Moo-Crumpus

until the next reboot ... nothing

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#9 2006-03-25 23:15:01

hehejo_
Website

Yes, that's obvious.
But after an reboot?

Board footer