You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-21 21:48:02

kajaman
Website

System hangs while changing MAC address of eth0

Hi All!

I am having strange problems with my network configuration. First of all, I have laptop with 2 interfaces - eth0 and wlan0. I use network profiles to choose wchich configuration suits me best at particular time.

Ok, so here is the problem:
When I choose from menu at boot time network profile that configures my internet connection via wlan0, and then I try to manually change the MAC address of my ethernet card with:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether my_new_mac_addr

the system stops responding, it simply hangs hmm

But the funniest thing is that when I start the network profile that uses my eth0 card at boot and then try to change eth0's MAC, it works great!

So I figured out that there must be something in startup scripts that in some way "initializes" eth0 to work properly. But browsing threw /etc/rc.d/network and /usr/bin/netcfg gave me nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions what can cause my system to hang while changing mac address?

Hubert Lepicki

#2 2006-03-21 22:21:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: System hangs while changing MAC address of eth0

Some wireless cards do not support mac cloning (this is also partly the reason why you cannot use VMWare's "bridged" network mode with wireless cards).
Most wired cards have no problem with this.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-03-21 22:32:12

kajaman
Website

cactus wrote:

Some wireless cards do not support mac cloning (this is also partly the reason why you cannot use VMWare's "bridged" network mode with wireless cards).
Most wired cards have no problem with this.

You are right but I'm trying to assign new MAC address to my wired card so...

Well, I just found a bug submitted on Linux bugzilla: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5992

it's quite similiar situation but I use broadcom (b44).

Hubert Lepicki

#4 2006-03-21 22:40:16

kajaman
Website

ok, now I bealieve it's kernel's fault. when just after boot I type:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether my_mac

system hangs immediately.
but when I type just after boot:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether my_mac

everything works well.

So I bealieve the driver doesn't work well when the first call to it from user is request of changing MAC. I'll probably submit that bug to bugzilla. Sorry for posting here, it realy wasn't arch-specific issue as i thought.[/code]

Hubert Lepicki

#5 2006-03-21 23:12:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
sad

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-03-22 22:35:42

kajaman
Website

Here is a link to submitted bug:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6268
and there is also available a patch for that bug. Hopefully it will be merged into next kernel release smile

Hubert Lepicki

Board footer