You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-15 22:32:26

TrevorBramble
Website

[SOLVED] No sound when headphones or speakers are plugged in

ThinkPad T450s
4.1.4-1-ARCH x86_64

Audio otherwise works; HDMI (via displayport) works, analog through the built-in speakers works. I hear the buzzy sounds from the headphones or speakers as I push in the jack, as normal.

I'm a little blurry on the sequence of events, but there was loud, constant buzzing from the speakers when I first plugged them in earlier. After rebooting there was nothing. At some point, not realizing I was in the middle of a more serious problem, I attempted running startx from tmux (without thinking it through much--just "I wonder if this works").

Nothing appears to be muted. Doesn't seem to matter if the sound is via PulseAudio or ALSA (Audacious, speaker-test are what I've been trying while troubleshooting) just ... when the output "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" port is "Headphones (plugged in)", nothing happens.

Addendum:

Some other posts here described miraculous recovery after either suspending the system a single time, or rebooting it a few times. Neither has worked here, and curiously that constant buzz hums away via the speakers when the system is suspended while they're plugged in.

Last edited by TrevorBramble (2015-08-16 04:58:55)

#2 2015-08-16 05:03:37

TrevorBramble
Website

Re: [SOLVED] No sound when headphones or speakers are plugged in

Not solved in the sense of actually discovering the root cause, but I have sound back.

Inspired by this thread, I booted to the Windows that shipped with this system, and found the same problem, so I powered off, removed the battery (system was already unplugged), pressed power, and when I was surprised to find a powered system (?!) I ran the suite of system tests from BIOS. Everything passed, I powered it off again, replaced the battery, and booted. Now sound is working as expected.

Last edited by TrevorBramble (2015-10-09 16:14:27)

#3 2015-08-19 17:09:42

kalasmannen
Website

Extremely interresting. I am experiencing the same problem here. I have a combined headset/microphone (single 3,5mm plug) that i have used for a long time without problems. After my latest "pacman -Syu" (yesterday), i had no sound.

When checking pavucontrol i see that the "dials" show that there are audio output from different programs/sources, but i had absolute silence in the headphones still. Tried using the mic with audacity, recorded fine. Unplugging the headphones reverts to the built-in-speakers fine as well. HDMI-output seems to work as expected too.

I have a thinkpad, but a T440p, now running 4.1.5-1-ARCH. Seems that the person in the thread you referenced also had a Thinkpad. I'll try powering down and removing the battery for a while to see if that makes any difference.

#4 2015-08-19 18:28:25

kalasmannen
Website

Okay, it seems that it worked for me as well. I turned the computer off while cooking and removed the battery. I then replaced the battery and plugged it in again and now the 3,5mm jack is working like it should. Strange.

Last edited by kalasmannen (2015-08-19 18:28:45)

#5 2015-09-06 15:50:46

XenGi
Website

Had the same problem. Unplugging the external battery worked for me too. What the hell is this bug? Did this fix it for you guys permanently?

Last edited by XenGi (2015-09-06 15:50:56)

# got root?█

#6 2015-09-06 19:56:13

TrevorBramble
Website

XenGi wrote:

Had the same problem. Unplugging the external battery worked for me too. What the hell is this bug? Did this fix it for you guys permanently?

Yup, hasn't recurred.

#7 2015-09-06 19:58:44

XenGi
Website

TrevorBramble wrote:
XenGi wrote:

Yup, hasn't recurred.

Strange. Would be interesting to find out how this works. I would understand it if there was no internal battery but with the internal one still in place, the removal of the external one shouldn't change anything.

# got root?█

#8 2015-10-09 14:20:50

pochanobboi

Can confirm that this method works for me too while multiple reboots didn't help.

#9 2015-10-12 18:38:24

jypma

+1 here, take out battery, reboot, sound for headphones is back. Thinkpad T540p.

#10 2016-04-25 12:45:54

Akiaku_Honoyaki

+1, worked as well with ASUS X551MAV, Debian 8

#11 2016-04-25 14:43:53

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, three 'me too' posts in a row.  Must be solved.

Closing

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … mpty_posts

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer